ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse Visa Help and Questions (various)

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sawebs
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Spouse Visa Help and Questions (various)

Post by sawebs » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:52 pm

Applying for spouse visa for my wife from Indonesia to come to the UK. She has sent me photocopies of documents in Indonesian like birth certificate etc and sworn translations of these documents. However she didn't send me the originals and the photocopies do not say "Certified a true copy of the original" or anything like that.

My question is - if we supply a photocopy and a sworn translation do we ALSO have to have the photocopy of the original Indonesian document certified/notarised?

I said to her that the sworn translation just basically means "I'm a competent translator and I promise that I have translated the Indonesian into English correctly". It does NOT mean "I confirm that the document I translated is genuine and the photocopy supplied is a true copy of the original".

Am I correct? Do we need to have the copies of the Indonesian documents certified as well? If so does this have to be in English?

She said she can send me the originals by courier, but the problem is they are laminated so I don't think they would be accepted.

Should she go to a lawyer and get the photocopies certified and send me those instead?

Confused - hope someone can help!

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Certified documents versus Sworn Translations

Post by Casa » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:00 pm

sawebs wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:52 pm
Applying for spouse visa for my wife from Indonesia to come to the UK. She has sent me photocopies of documents in Indonesian like birth certificate etc and sworn translations of these documents. However she didn't send me the originals and the photocopies do not say "Certified a true copy of the original" or anything like that.

My question is - if we supply a photocopy and a sworn translation do we ALSO have to have the photocopy of the original Indonesian document certified/notarised? Yes

I said to her that the sworn translation just basically means "I'm a competent translator and I promise that I have translated the Indonesian into English correctly". It does NOT mean "I confirm that the document I translated is genuine and the photocopy supplied is a true copy of the original". Correct.

Am I correct? Do we need to have the copies of the Indonesian documents certified as well? If so does this have to be in English? Yes and Yes

She said she can send me the originals by courier, but the problem is they are laminated so I don't think they would be accepted.
Laminated originals are unlikely to be accepted.
Should she go to a lawyer and get the photocopies certified and send me those instead? Yes

Confused - hope someone can help!
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

sawebs
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by sawebs » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:03 pm

Thank you so much!

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:05 pm

sawebs wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:03 pm
Thank you so much!
You're welcome. Ask any questions if you get stuck.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

sawebs
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Police report required?

Post by sawebs » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:43 am

I'm applying for a UK spouse visa for my wife who is in Indonesia.

She seems to think she needs a police report to confirm she has no convictions. She says a couple of people she knows who have applied for visas have included this in their documents.

I told her I have never seen this requirement in any list of documents from the Border Agency or on any forums or anywhere else.

Is this necessary for her application? She has no convictions and no police record by the way.

I said I thought it might potentially raise questions that don't need to be raised - as it's not a requirement why would anyone include it? Maybe it makes it look like they've got something to hide - they could have bribed a police officer to produce this or something?

sawebs
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Medical treatment - including miscarriage

Post by sawebs » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:53 pm

About to send off documents for my wife's settlement visa. She is from outside the EEA and came here on a visitor visa for a few months after we were married but is now back home waiting for the spouse visa.

The online application asks if you have ever received medical treatment in the UK. We clicked on NO but I'm now regretting this.

When she came here I registered her with my GP in case of emergency. They insisted on a "new patient" check up. She saw the nurse who checked blood pressure, urine etc. Blood pressure was slightly high so they lent her a blood pressure monitor for a couple of weeks and she visited the nurse once more to review the data (everything was fine) and then visited the medical centre once more to return the blood pressure monitor.

Then a couple of months later she experienced heavy bleeding so I took her to the doctor who arranged an emergency scan at the local hospital. She went for this scan in the maternity unit as an outpatient where they confirmed it was likely a miscarriage and took some blood. We returned a few days later for another blood test to confirm no change in pregnancy hormones. That was the end of that.

I decided that although there was no "treatment" as such (only a couple of check up appointments and an emergency examination) we should change the NO to YES and disclose these nurse and hospital appointments on an additional sheet when we send in the documents.

Since then I found out about the "above £1000" rule and now I'm not sure whether to include this additional information or not.

I've read that although an emergency where you go straight to A&E is acceptable, if you go to the GP first and get referred then that may not be, despite the fact that in my opinion heavy bleeding posing potential danger to a mother and baby should correctly be described as an emergency.

Also she did not ask for the check up and blood pressure checks, it was on the insistence of the doctors surgery who do this for all new registrations.

Can anyone advise please?

metanoia
Pakistan

Re: Medical treatment - including miscarriage

Post by metanoia » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:17 am

This is my understanding of the law and I could be wrong but you should declare the care she received and pay it 150%

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... pital-care

People living outside the EEA
People who live outside the EEA, including former UK residents, should now make sure they are covered by personal health insurance, unless an exemption applies to them. Anyone who does not have insurance will be charged at 150% of the NHS national tariff for any care they receive.

Here's a link to somewhat similar question asked on the forum

general-uk-immigration-forum/medical-tr ... 28330.html
Biometrics Karachi 04/08/17
Decision received 11/10 (Visa refused on subsisting relationship)
Acknowledgment 18/12/17
Deadline 02/04/18
Decision withdrawn 26/02/18
Decision overturned 29/03/18
PP submitted 3/4/18
Visa granted 9/4/18

sawebs
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by sawebs » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:23 am

Thanks for your reply.

I will contact the hospital and ask for a bill.

As we put NO on the online application I will manually change this to YES and I will include a separate sheet with full details and the bill and receipt for payment.

Is this acceptable do you think?

As mentioned in the post you quoted, I see that A&E and GP treatment is free for all so I will mention it but not ask them for a bill.

sawebs
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Spouse visa - bank account set up late

Post by sawebs » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:50 pm

As a Director of my limited company I have got the accounts prepared, got an accountant's letter, dividend vouchers, CT600 etc. etc.

The only problem is the bank statements. I have statements from the time the account was opened which was 1st December 2016 until year end of 31st August 2017.

The company was incorporated in August 2016, started trading in October 2016 and I finally got the bank account opened in December because the bank lost my ID documents which I took into the branch TWICE so there was a considerable delay in opening the account.

For several weeks I had my client pay their invoices into my personal bank account (which I have provided the 12 months' statements for). This was all correctly accounted for through my director's loan account.

I never took any dividends or salary until April 2017 and dividends after this comfortably passed the £18,600 test and are backed up by dividend vouchers and personal bank statements.

There is no requirement in law for a company to have it's own bank account as far as I know (it could be operated indefinitely through a personal bank account with everything flowing through the Director's loan account) so how can the Home Office insist on 12 months' company bank statements?

Will it matter that the business bank account wasn't opened until December? I can't provide statements that don't exist.

sawebs
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by sawebs » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:02 pm

In case anyone else has the same issue...

I called the hospital this morning and spoke to the Overseas Business Manager who was very helpful.

He found my wife's appointment details very quickly and explained that a timing issue had prevented the system flagging up at the time of treatment that we needed to pay for the appointment.

He is raising an invoice and sending to me today, at the 150% tariff rate and he said once that is paid we are totally in the clear. He said should the Border Agency make enquiries it would be him they would speak to and he would tell them that everything is straight and above board and that I came forward voluntarily to pay the charge.

He also confirmed that the GP appointments and blood tests are not chargeable.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Spouse Visa Help and Questions (various)

Post by CR001 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:31 pm

All your topics have been merged. Can you please stick to one thread for ALL questions on the same application. No need for a new topic with each query.

See Multiple Topics/Posts (click)
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

sawebs
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Spouse Visa Help and Questions (various)

Post by sawebs » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:27 pm

ooops sorry, I thought that was exactly what I was supposed to do... Apologies.