ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Family members on ILR travelling out of UK for 1 year - Citizenship application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ay
Newly Registered

Family members on ILR travelling out of UK for 1 year - Citizenship application

Post by ay » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:00 pm

Hi,

My Family members (Wife + daughter (child)) are having ILR status and want to visit India for a year.
They are in UK since 2010 and received ILR in 2016 and are eligible for applying citizenship, however the priority now is to travel to India for a year and come back to UK later and then apply for Citizenship.

My questions.
1. Can they travel for a year and come back to UK on ILR status ?
2. Can they apply for Citizenship immediately after coming back to UK ?
3. Is the absence of 1 year be an issue when applying for Citizenship anytime in future ?
4. Can I apply for my daughter (child) independently for citizenship based on the fact that I have British Citizenship and my wife is having settled status (ILR) ?

Your help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards
AY

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Family members on ILR travelling out of UK for 1 year - Citizenship application

Post by Casa » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:13 pm

ay wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:00 pm
Hi,

My Family members (Wife + daughter (child)) are having ILR status and want to visit India for a year.
They are in UK since 2010 and received ILR in 2016 and are eligible for applying citizenship, however the priority now is to travel to India for a year and come back to UK later and then apply for Citizenship.

My questions.
1. Can they travel for a year and come back to UK on ILR status ? YES
2. Can they apply for Citizenship immediately after coming back to UK ? No, as they are not permitted to be absent from the UK more than 90 days in the 12 month period prior to applying for British citizenship.
3. Is the absence of 1 year be an issue when applying for Citizenship anytime in future ? Possibly, depending on the total number of absent days.
4. Can I apply for my daughter (child) independently for citizenship based on the fact that I have British Citizenship and my wife is having settled status (ILR) ? Yes if she meets all the standard requirements, including the permitted days of absence.

Regards
AY
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

ay
Newly Registered

Re: Family members on ILR travelling out of UK for 1 year - Citizenship application

Post by ay » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:34 pm

Casa wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:13 pm
ay wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:00 pm
Hi,

My questions.
1. Can they travel for a year and come back to UK on ILR status ? YES
2. Can they apply for Citizenship immediately after coming back to UK ? No, as they are not permitted to be absent from the UK more than 90 days in the 12 month period prior to applying for British citizenship.
3. Is the absence of 1 year be an issue when applying for Citizenship anytime in future ? Possibly, depending on the total number of absent days.
4. Can I apply for my daughter (child) independently for citizenship based on the fact that I have British Citizenship and my wife is having settled status (ILR) ? Yes if she meets all the standard requirements, including the permitted days of absence.

Regards
AY

Thanks Casa for your prompt reply.
Few more questions...

If I apply for my daughter independently for citizenship can she travel after giving her biometrics ? Would she be required after biometrics in UK for the citizenship application to be approved ? If not required, would there be any issue when she would be traveling back to UK (and she would be using the British Passport at immigration) ? I am trying to find out all the possibles legal ways !!