ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR for Spouse of a Settled Person in UK

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

vista
Newly Registered

ILR for Spouse of a Settled Person in UK

Post by vista » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:50 pm

Dear Members,

I need advice about immigration case of my wife.

I was granted ILR recently on 16th October 2017 on 10 year Long Residence Basis.

My wife has been living with me since Aug 2011 as PBS Tier 2 dependant which expires on Mar 2018.

As I have got my ILR and my wife living with me more than 5 years, can she apply for ILR now using SET(M).
If not, then can you please advise what option do we have for her ILR application.

Can seniors of this forum help me understand the situation and guide me.

Regards

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ILR for Spouse of a Settled Person in UK

Post by CR001 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:03 pm

As I have got my ILR and my wife living with me more than 5 years, can she apply for ILR now using SET(M).
No she cannot as she does not hold a visa in the category that permits her to use Set(M), i.e. a spouse settlement visa (FLR(M)).
If not, then can you please advise what option do we have for her ILR application.
Her only option is to switch to FLR(M) as you got ILR based on long residence.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vista
Newly Registered

Post by vista » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:09 pm

I see, so how long does she have to remain in spouse visa before she qualifies for ILR.

Any advise will be highly appreciated
Regards

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:20 pm

vista wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:09 pm
I see, so how long does she have to remain in spouse visa before she qualifies for ILR.

Any advise will be highly appreciated
Regards
5 years (2.5 x 2.5).

However, if she arrived in the UK in 2011, she should qualify for ILR under long residence in 2021 before her second 2.5 year FLR(M) extension has been completed.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

vista
Newly Registered

Post by vista » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:34 pm

Ok. Her current PBS tier 2 dependant visa is valid till Mar 2018, can she apply for FLR(M) next year in Feb?
Bear in mind that I have already switched from Tier 2 to ILR.
Your advise is highly appreciated
Regards

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:53 pm

She wouldn't be able to travel on her current PBS dependent visa as she could be refused entry on her return. Why delay the FLR(M) application? The visa fees are very likely to increase again early next year. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

vista
Newly Registered

Post by vista » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:27 pm

I agree. Having To wait another 5 years is a pain, is there no other route for her to get ILR?
We have 2 children both born here- 3 year old and 1 year old.
My wife arrived in Uk on Aug 2011.
Regards

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:52 pm

No other quicker route unfortunately, due to the fact that you were granted ILR under long residence. The earliest your wife will qualify for ILR will be in August 2021 when she completes her 10 years residence in the UK.
(Casa, not CR001)

vista
Newly Registered

Post by vista » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:08 am

Thank you for all the advise.