ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

degree taught in English

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sankar

degree taught in English

Post by sankar » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:52 pm

Hi All,
Could anyone clarify a doubt of mine please?

I am a post graduate from Utkal University, Orissa, India. Also I have done my degree from the same.

I have got a letter from NARIC for my POST-GRADUATE.
I have got a letter from Utkal University that I passed DEGREE in Englisg language.

Utkal University is displayed in the list of institutions in the bia website. (And, my university is AICTE approved)

Do I still need to produce another NARIC letter for my DEGREE???

Someone, please answer me.
Thanks.

bhakta
Newly Registered

Degree taught in English

Post by bhakta » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:06 pm

Hi Sankar,

As far as my knowledge goes, for degree, you do not need to produce a NARIC letter if you have done your degree in engineering.But letter from university should state that your degree has been taught in english.

I also need a help from you.
Actually, I have done my degree from utkal university as well and got a letter from university which states that degree has been taught in english.Unfortunately letter looks sub-standard and it has not been in official letter head and it has been printed in a dot matrix printer. can you pls confirm whether you have also got in the same format and whether it will do the purpose.

Thanks
Bhakta

crusador0408
Member of Standing

Re: degree taught in English

Post by crusador0408 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:38 am

sankar wrote:Hi All,
Could anyone clarify a doubt of mine please?

I am a post graduate from Utkal University, Orissa, India. Also I have done my degree from the same.

I have got a letter from NARIC for my POST-GRADUATE.
I have got a letter from Utkal University that I passed DEGREE in Englisg language.

Utkal University is displayed in the list of institutions in the bia website. (And, my university is AICTE approved)

Do I still need to produce another NARIC letter for my DEGREE???

Someone, please answer me.
Thanks.
Dont bother if u have letter from university registrar.
I have my ILR since march 2013, previously based on HSMP+Tier1 ext. All views are my own, am not a professional on immigration matters.

bhakta
Newly Registered

Post by bhakta » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:10 pm

Thanks Crusader.

It is scaring me only because it is clearly mentioned that letter for degree taught in English should be in official letter head.But just enquired that Utkal University issues letter in the same format to everybody.

If anybody from Utkal University confirms , then it is really appreciated.

hsmp2010

degree

Post by hsmp2010 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:02 pm

is this universty also listed in english acceptable institutions list on BIA website

bhakta
Newly Registered

Degree taught in English

Post by bhakta » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:06 pm

Yes , Utkal University is listed in english acceptable institutions list on BIA website

hsmp2010

degree

Post by hsmp2010 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:10 pm

my uni is not listed in that list but its listed in UK bachelors list. will BIA ever change english acceptable uni list , can i contact NARIC for this?

bhakta
Newly Registered

Degree taught in English

Post by bhakta » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:07 pm

If your university is not listed, then better to have a letter from NARIC to prove your qualification.Do not take a chance

hsmp2010

degree

Post by hsmp2010 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:01 am

but NARIC compares and tells whether its equivalent to UK bachelors degree or not. I need to know whether its compared to their english standard or not

asamdani
Newly Registered

Post by asamdani » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:42 pm

Problem with the new system called "Tier 1" is that HO has introduced a new requirement for applicants intending to claim points under "Degree taught in English"

Please refer to point 179 and 180 at page 19 of tier1genpolicayguide.pdf
Which is

179. Applicants may provide evidence that they hold a degree which is equivalent to UK Bachelor’s level or higher and which was taught or researched in English to a particular level as evidence of their English language ability.

180. The qualification must:
• be recognised by UK NARIC as equivalent to at least a UK Bachelor’s degree;
• have been taught in English to a standard comparable to that of level C1 on the Council of Europe’s Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment (CEFR).
above point applies to those who are not from following countries
Antigua and Barbuda; Australia; The Bahamas; Barbados; Belize; Dominica; Grenada; Guyana; Ireland; Jamaica; New Zealand; St Kitts and Nevis; St Lucia; St Vincent and the Grenadines; Trinidad and Tobago; the United Kingdom; the United States of America.
Before I read that point i was pretty much confident about my english evidence but now I am really worried as I have to apply for my extension next month (I have already completed my first extension in UK and spent for four years 1+3 and npw affected by now rules!).

Well i really do not know how to provide evidence for level C1 for my english as i only have my university letter confirming my degree was tought in english. Mreover I've got letter from UK NARIC that my degree is equivalent to UK bachelor.

When you phone HO adviser they will not tell correct information as they are also not aware of this new change, i spoke with them twice and ended up preparing for IELTS :(. For your info HO has also changed IELTS level from 6 to 6.5!

so friends read new policy guide document before you decide yourself :(

asamdani
Newly Registered

Post by asamdani » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:45 pm

sorry guys i hit enter...below is more i was about to mention/

for your info NARIC will not give you any comparison for your level of english. I spoke with NARIC last week and the lady insisted she could not reveal any information about english level they can only confirm it to HO when HO needs to confirm! So i think if your university is not appearing in english certified universities in HO point calculator then it means you will need to give other evidence like IELTS 6.5 i am afraid.

sankar

Re: Degree taught in English

Post by sankar » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:52 pm

Hi bhakta,
You need not worry for the dot matrix print out. Its the same for everyone. Even my friend (from Utkal) got the same dot matrix print out and his HSMP been stamped. So, cool. You are free from problems.

Hope you get your HSMP soon. Wish u all the luck.
Regards.
bhakta wrote:Hi Sankar,

As far as my knowledge goes, for degree, you do not need to produce a NARIC letter if you have done your degree in engineering.But letter from university should state that your degree has been taught in english.

Actually, I have done my degree from utkal university as well and got a letter from university which states that degree has been taught in english.Unfortunately letter looks sub-standard and it has not been in official letter head and it has been printed in a dot matrix printer. can you pls confirm whether you have also got in the same format and whether it will do the purpose.

Thanks
Bhakta

urgent

Re: Degree taught in English

Post by urgent » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Thanks sankar,

Even I am relived after reading this post. Unfortunately even my university issued Medium instruction certificate with dot matrix print out.

It is just a letter from the university(not on university letter head ) on a dot matrix with university seal thats all.

sankar wrote:Hi bhakta,
You need not worry for the dot matrix print out. Its the same for everyone. Even my friend (from Utkal) got the same dot matrix print out and his HSMP been stamped. So, cool. You are free from problems.

Hope you get your HSMP soon. Wish u all the luck.
Regards.
bhakta wrote:Hi Sankar,

Thanks
Bhakta
indian,
Loves people and loves the planet

tier1_applicant

degree taught in English

Post by tier1_applicant » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:31 am

Hi All,

If I access Tier1 point based calculator and enter IGNOU MBA as the qualification, it allocates 35 points for qualification and also recognizes this qualification for English language requirement.

Does it mean that MBA alone from IGNOU is sufficient for qualification points and English language requirement?

Also, has been a bit of confusion as at many places in related forums, it has been stated that for english language requirements, it must be a bachelor degree and accompained with a letter from university that it is taught in english.

Any thoughts/clarifications on this..

Regards,

Sunil

smartkhan
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by smartkhan » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:19 pm

Please get a letter from NARIC. If NARIC confirmed that your degree is equivalent to British Bachelors then letter of "Medium Of Instruction" from your university will work otherwise it'll not.

Please get the letter on letter head of your university otherwise your HSMP application will be refused.

If you still have confusions in mind then simply sit in IELTS test.

The case workers prefers the IELTS test.

Best of luck to you all.

ash20

Post by ash20 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:28 pm

Hi All,
I have got my english taught certificate from my university now i have doubt few things
1) My degree mentions exam held in april and degree awarded in february
2) My english certificate mentions exam held in May with seat no XXXX

Seat no is related to my last years marksheet and it shows may

Actually exams were held in April and results came in may

Now i would like to know if i need to send my last years marksheet which has my seat no mentioned same as English certificate? and would may or april causes confusion with caseworker?
Please help me. Would appreciate your help

Thanks
A

vijayb
Newly Registered

Post by vijayb » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:04 am

Sankar
I have done my Bachelor of Chem Eng. from Sambalpur University, Orissa.
Will you please guide me how to get NARIC letter of comparibility.
Thanks.
Vijay

tier1_applicant

degree taught in english

Post by tier1_applicant » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:03 pm

Hi,

You can apply online at

http://www.naric.org.uk/

Different options are there to pay and send certificate copy by post or fax.

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:23 pm

vijayb wrote:Sankar
I have done my Bachelor of Chem Eng. from Sambalpur University, Orissa.
Will you please guide me how to get NARIC letter of comparibility.
Thanks.
Vijay
Why you needed that? You can check directly it, from UK home office web site.

shivaa

Post by shivaa » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:24 am

Hi all,
I did engg degree in madurai kamaraj univ,itz listed in bia list,also i got naric letter also.In my original marksheet ,clearly stated that medium of instruction is english.I thought of highlighting this in xerox copy marksheet along with original and also separate covering letter for english section.Is this enough?Please clarify.
Thanks and regards,
Shivaa