ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British citizenship after 9 months of ILR/PR

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ensalmo
Newly Registered

British citizenship after 9 months of ILR/PR

Post by ensalmo » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:38 pm

Is it true that we can apply for British citizenship after 9 months of ILR/PR if you are a home owner?

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Re: British citizenship after 9 months of ILR/PR

Post by thirdwave » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:01 am

ensalmo wrote:Is it true that we can apply for British citizenship after 9 months of ILR/PR if you are a home owner?
Is this supposed to be a windup or what? Ofcourse you can`t apply for naturalisation after 9 months of ILR! What do you think the HO is, a building society?? :lol: :lol:

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:51 am

I think you've had ur answer!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:18 am

No, but what is true is that if the ILR application took more than 3 months to process ..... from date of application to date of ILR being issued .... then the application can be made 15 months after the ILR application was submitted ... as long as all the other tests are passed.

For example, if ILR application takes 5 months to process, then Naturalisation can be applied for 10 months after ILR granted .... that is, 15 months after the ILR applied for ... again assuming all the other tests passed.
John

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:04 am

See also Chapter 18: Naturalisation at discretion > Annex B: The residence requirements (7.5 Discretion to disregard immigration time restrictions in the final 12 months may normally be exercised if:)
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

global gypsy
United Kingdom

Post by global gypsy » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:49 am

Vinny, is there a similar document that outlines the residence requirements for ILR application? (as against this one which is for naturalisation)
Thank you.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:00 pm

There are, depending on the categories of the ILR applications.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:21 pm

I wrote to the BIA last week asking them when they are finally going to update the guidance for ILR for employment-related applications. Since December 2006 they've been saying that they're going to "update it shortly". But well, erm, it's almost April 2008.

Their response was the following sentence:

Please be advised that Immigration Directorate Instructions are updated as and when the guidance is issued by the Policy Unit.

I'm going to my MP's advice surgery this week on another matter. I'll ask her to follow up with the BIA if possible to get a better result. It's just that there have been so many changes to the requirements for settlement that I'm convinced that they've updated the IDI internally. I just would like them to share it with the world, particularly in terms of how they consider absences from the UK.

If I hear anything substantial from them, I'll post the info here.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:27 pm