ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jimbucktoo
Newly Registered

Re: Foreign Birth Registration?

Post by jimbucktoo » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:31 pm

My daughter is now an Irish citizen! Timeline:

March 26th, 2017: Made online application and sent documents off.

July 2017: Received email from Dublin requesting verification of witness bona fides.

September 30th, 2017: Letter confirming citizenship received.

Many thanks to everyone who has posted here. Happy Irishness to everyone still waiting; it's very sweet when it finally happens.

petew
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by petew » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:30 am

Can anyone tell me whether ALL applications are done in Dublin or are some done at the local consulate? I read somewhere that the processing was done locally which explains the difference in time taken.
But reading through a lot of the recent posts it seems that everyone is being registered in the 6-7 month time frame.
I am australian and the embassy advised me to do all registration direct with Dublin. But I am soon to leave for france for a year and have been told by Paris to send the information to Paris. But I am wondering if the documents merely get forwarded on from Paris to Dublin, or , do they get processed in Paris . Has anyone any insights into this?

Snuffles
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Snuffles » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:29 am

Hello all, I just got my letter confirming that I'm now an Irish citizen (date of entry in FBR: 29 Sept), but they've spelt my first name wrong. :|

Has this happened to anyone else? I've emailed the embassy, any idea what they will do or how long it will take? It's been a long wait - don't want to go through it all again!

Bluey105

Post by Bluey105 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:40 am

Snuffles wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:29 am
Hello all, I just got my letter confirming that I'm now an Irish citizen (date of entry in FBR: 29 Sept), but they've spelt my first name wrong. :|

Has this happened to anyone else? I've emailed the embassy, any idea what they will do or how long it will take? It's been a long wait - don't want to go through it all again!
That's annoying! The embassy should get back to you tomorrow.

When did you apply?

Snuffles
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Snuffles » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:55 am

Bluey105 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:40 am
Snuffles wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:29 am

That's annoying! The embassy should get back to you tomorrow.

When did you apply?
Ummm mid-April, I think.

LuluBlue76
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by LuluBlue76 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:50 pm

I've finally got all my paperwork together to apply for my two children, my father was born in Ireland so I've recently acquired my first Irish passport, now need to get the kids registered as well. I keep nervously checking and rechecking all the pieces of paper, there's just so much I feel certain I must have missed something. I'm sending in for both children together as I only have one set of documents for both myself and my father. Don't know why I feel so nervous as there's no question they are entitled to citizenship, just want to get it right first time! So in theory, if it takes 6-7 months, they should be registered just after Easter next year.

Bluey105

Post by Bluey105 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:31 am

LuluBlue76 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:50 pm
I've finally got all my paperwork together to apply for my two children, my father was born in Ireland so I've recently acquired my first Irish passport, now need to get the kids registered as well. I keep nervously checking and rechecking all the pieces of paper, there's just so much I feel certain I must have missed something. I'm sending in for both children together as I only have one set of documents for both myself and my father. Don't know why I feel so nervous as there's no question they are entitled to citizenship, just want to get it right first time! So in theory, if it takes 6-7 months, they should be registered just after Easter next year.
Don't worry, I'm sure it'll be fine. :) From what I have seen recently, if you and your witness are contacted they've been arriving within 6 months.

ninal01
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by ninal01 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:53 am

Hi all,

Longtime lurker here, thought I would join in on the conversation. US citizen, mom's stepmother (legally adopted) was Irish. Getting all the docs from the USA was a nightmare and a half, took well over six months but got it all done in the end. Look forward to hearing any other info from you all in reference to similar submission/processing times.

Timeline:
4 Sept 2017: submitted online application
6 Sept 2017: submitted supporting documentation to Irish Embassy London

I am meticulous when it comes to documents so I'm certain everything is in order. Does anyone know how soon after submitting docs to London embassy that they are forwarded on to Dublin? I know I'm getting antsy only six weeks in...just too excited!

Bluey105

Post by Bluey105 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:45 pm

ninal01 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:53 am
Hi all,

Longtime lurker here, thought I would join in on the conversation. US citizen, mom's stepmother (legally adopted) was Irish. Getting all the docs from the USA was a nightmare and a half, took well over six months but got it all done in the end. Look forward to hearing any other info from you all in reference to similar submission/processing times.

Timeline:
4 Sept 2017: submitted online application
6 Sept 2017: submitted supporting documentation to Irish Embassy London

I am meticulous when it comes to documents so I'm certain everything is in order. Does anyone know how soon after submitting docs to London embassy that they are forwarded on to Dublin? I know I'm getting antsy only six weeks in...just too excited!
As far as I am aware, applications to London are not normally sent to Dublin. However mine was due to an abundance of applications. I could well be wrong though!

LuluBlue76
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by LuluBlue76 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:26 am

Bluey105 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:31 am
LuluBlue76 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:50 pm
Don't worry, I'm sure it'll be fine. :) From what I have seen recently, if you and your witness are contacted they've been arriving within 6 months.
Fingers crossed. It all arrived at the embassy this morning, taken a screen shot of the tracking info just in case. Now for the long wait!! :D

LuluBlue76
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by LuluBlue76 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:25 pm

I've even had two emails saying the applications have been received which is good :mrgreen:

capped
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by capped » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:19 pm

Sent my application off in July, received word from Dublin 10/10 that they had received it from London, however, they lost my signed photos', so I had to go to my solicitor again and pay to be re-signed along with the application stamped and signed again... should have stapled, not paperclipped the photo's to the application.

Anyway the Dublin office now have all my docs, been advised there is a backlog of applications, will update when I receive word.

Piret
Newly Registered
Ireland

European ID card and Number with FBR?

Post by Piret » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:32 pm

Hi,
Can someone help me with the next step? So once you are registered as a citizen do you have to apply for a European Union ID number and card? I want to live in another EU country and what do I do after applying for FBR which I now have I am a citizen. What do I need now please? :cry: I don't know what I need.

Ciaran123
Newly Registered

Re: European ID card and Number with FBR?

Post by Ciaran123 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:43 pm

Piret wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:32 pm
Hi,
Can someone help me with the next step? So once you are registered as a citizen do you have to apply for a European Union ID number and card? I want to live in another EU country and what do I do after applying for FBR which I now have I am a citizen. What do I need now please? :cry: I don't know what I need.
No such thing as an EU ID number or card. Are you British? At the moment you don't have to do anything, you're already an EU citizen. If you were non EEA before becoming Irish then you'll probably want to apply for an Irish passport. They send details along with the FBR certificate.

scout3
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by scout3 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:15 pm

Hello all:

I received an email this morning confirming that my Foreign Birth Registration was successful and I am now an Irish Citizen.

Here are the filing details:

Online application and fee paid 13 July 2017.
Waited for one more certificate to arrive from the UK.
Documents sent by FedEx to Dublin from Western Canada -- arrived Dublin 24 July 2017.
The email confirming FBR and return of documents (in 2 weeks apparently) -- 23 Oct 2017.
No communication (in either direction) between the application and today's email.

Almost exactly 3 months from receipt of the application to today's email, so very fast. Some things to note that may be of interest. I have dual Canadian and British Citizenship (...correction triple citizenship!) and applied on the basis of my Canadian passport -- they never asked for a copy of my British passport. I was born in the UK. The application itself was very straightforward, via my maternal grandfather, and I was able to order all of the relevant birth/death/marriage certificates online (from Ireland and the UK). The family name was misspelled on my grandfather's birth certificate (not uncommon I am told) so I included some further family details from Irish census records that I found online. I was very meticulous filling in all of the forms and triple-checked the accompanying documents and checklist. A lawyer friend of mine notarized the accompanying documents and acted as the witness.

Do applications from Canada get put on a different desk to the backlog of applications from the UK? Maybe, or perhaps the backlog is easing. I have no idea either way. I was expecting the process to take at least six months but my wife -- based on nothing more than a hunch -- bet me $100 it would be by end of October. It's the best $100 I ever lost. I'm going to pay up in the liquor store, right next to the shelf where the Bushmills and Jameson's sit.

Best of luck everyone,

Cheers
Phil

Bluey105

Post by Bluey105 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:22 pm

scout3 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:15 pm
Hello all:

I received an email this morning confirming that my Foreign Birth Registration was successful and I am now an Irish Citizen.

Here are the filing details:

Online application and fee paid 13 July 2017.
Waited for one more certificate to arrive from the UK.
Documents sent by FedEx to Dublin from Western Canada -- arrived Dublin 24 July 2017.
The email confirming FBR and return of documents (in 2 weeks apparently) -- 23 Oct 2017.
No communication (in either direction) between the application and today's email.

Almost exactly 3 months from receipt of the application to today's email, so very fast. Some things to note that may be of interest. I have dual Canadian and British Citizenship (...correction triple citizenship!) and applied on the basis of my Canadian passport -- they never asked for a copy of my British passport. I was born in the UK. The application itself was very straightforward, via my maternal grandfather, and I was able to order all of the relevant birth/death/marriage certificates online (from Ireland and the UK). The family name was misspelled on my grandfather's birth certificate (not uncommon I am told) so I included some further family details from Irish census records that I found online. I was very meticulous filling in all of the forms and triple-checked the accompanying documents and checklist. A lawyer friend of mine notarized the accompanying documents and acted as the witness.

Do applications from Canada get put on a different desk to the backlog of applications from the UK? Maybe, or perhaps the backlog is easing. I have no idea either way. I was expecting the process to take at least six months but my wife -- based on nothing more than a hunch -- bet me $100 it would be by end of October. It's the best $100 I ever lost. I'm going to pay up in the liquor store, right next to the shelf where the Bushmills and Jameson's sit.

Best of luck everyone,

Cheers
Phil
I applied mid May via the London embassy and my application was sent over to Dublin due to the backlog. Am still patiently waiting; it seems that if you go via London you end up as part of the backlog. I'm still hopeful I will get my certificate with in the next month.

bluemoon2

Post by bluemoon2 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:03 pm

I applied for my 1 year old child in last week of January through Irish embassy Turkey , I was told to provide more documents which I provided promptly , I contacted them once which was 6 weeks ago and they said your application is being processed , now I am running out of patience as its 9 months now , don,t know what to do .

sera1
Newly Registered

Post by sera1 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:18 am

Hello, I sent it all off in August but I just learned I am supposed to be registered adopted first...I didn't do that. Will they send it all back and charge me the fee all over again?

ammonite
Newly Registered

Post by ammonite » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:41 pm

For info, I have now received my passport :D I used the normal service and it only took 4 weeks - that was 3 weeks earlier than the estimated date the tracking system gave, so I guess they are getting through the backlog there.

bluemoon2

Post by bluemoon2 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:16 am

what do you mean by tracking system ? can we track our fbr applications online ?

ammonite
Newly Registered

Post by ammonite » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:55 am

Sorry, no I mean the passport application after you get the FBR certificate

bluemoon2

Post by bluemoon2 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:52 pm

I applied for my 1 year old child in last week of January through Irish embassy Turkey , I was told to provide more documents which I provided promptly , I contacted them once which was 6 weeks ago and they said your application is being processed , now I am running out of patience as its 9 months now , don,t know what to do .

Bluey105

Post by Bluey105 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:37 pm

I applied mid May and starting to get a bit concerned as I haven't heard anything and there is no way to track applications. Hopefully it'll come through at some point soon.

pixie1230

Post by pixie1230 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:36 am

Hello All!

I just want to know what is the timeline of applying for a foreign birth certificate? I gave birth sept 17,2017 in the Philippines. My husband went back to Ireland and left me in the phils because of his work. I will go back in the next couple of days in Ireland and will leave my baby to my father and sister until i process the foreign birth of my baby to claim irish citizenship. How long do I need to leave my baby in my family in the philippines before we can be a together in Ireland? And what other documents do I need to submit? Hope someone can help me on this. Thanks in advance!
Btw, i am a naturalized irish citizen, my husband got his citizenship from his father who is a natural born irish.

Bluey105

Post by Bluey105 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:02 am

Mine has arrived!! It took just over 5 months, very happy. Does anyone know if you can use Passport Express via the embassy in London?