ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Anulled Marriage

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

alvin9751
Newly Registered
United States of America

Anulled Marriage

Post by alvin9751 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:44 pm

Hello folks,I am US citizen residing in Uk since 2002.I got married to my then GF who was a British Citizen.
I got my ILR in year 2005.
she wanted to divorce me while my application for the ILR was in the Home office which i denied but somehow she managed to get the marriage anulled instead.I have no contact with her since and does not even know her where abouts.
I am only wondering since i have my ILR for nearly 12 years should I apply for my British Citizenship?
I hope anulled marriage would not make any adverse affect on my ILR status,I have a steady job and also paying my Mortgage at the same time.
i would highly appreciate if any of you can spare some valuable time of yours and offer me the help which i am seeking.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Anulled Marriage

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:47 pm

Applications for naturalisation are individual to the applicant - just state your marital status (i.e. divorced). If you don't know her address say so. If you can satisfy all the requirements as stated in the AN form/booklet/advice notes you should be ok.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

ess212
Newly Registered

Post by ess212 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:24 am

alvin9751 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:44 pm
Hello folks,I am US citizen residing in Uk since 2002.I got married to my then GF who was a British Citizen.
I got my ILR in year 2005.
she wanted to divorce me while my application for the ILR was in the Home office which i denied but somehow she managed to get the marriage anulled instead.I have no contact with her since and does not even know her where abouts.
I am only wondering since i have my ILR for nearly 12 years should I apply for my British Citizenship?
I hope anulled marriage would not make any adverse affect on my ILR status,I have a steady job and also paying my Mortgage at the same time.
i would highly appreciate if any of you can spare some valuable time of yours and offer me the help which i am seeking.
I had a similar worry before I applied. I was married to a Brit, got ILR in 2004. We broke up after 3 years but decided not to get divorced. He moved overseas and, unfortunately, passed away. I was not able to get a copy of death certificate from his family (they took care of the official matters). In my application, I explained this on the page that is there for any other relevant information. I also made sure to explicitly state that I was applying on the basis of 5 years residency and not 3 year spousal route. And I made sure I met all requirements.

It worked. I got my approval yesterday.

Good luck.

alvin9751
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by alvin9751 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:57 pm

Thanks so much for the encouraging reply guys realy appreciated I will update on this after few weeks.

alvin9751
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by alvin9751 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:15 am

ess can you pm me if its possible?
regards.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:19 am

alvin9751 wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:15 am
ess can you pm me if its possible?regards.
Both parties need 30 posts before exchanging private messages. As you do not have 30 posts, you will not be able to access private messages.

Please post your questions in the public forums for others to respond and to learn from.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

alvin9751
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by alvin9751 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:17 am

Thanks Simon for the information...

alvin9751
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by alvin9751 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:23 am

@Ess212.I was going to ask you few things as I am ready to submit my application,first you mentioned your marriage was also annulled so did you mention this on your application forms?and lastly what exactly did you write in your application on the spare sheet in regards to the 5 years qualifying period of time?I would highly appreciate if you can spare little bit of your time...it would be a mega help.

ess212
Newly Registered

Post by ess212 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:48 am

alvin9751 wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:23 am
@Ess212.I was going to ask you few things as I am ready to submit my application,first you mentioned your marriage was also annulled so did you mention this on your application forms?and lastly what exactly did you write in your application on the spare sheet in regards to the 5 years qualifying period of time?I would highly appreciate if you can spare little bit of your time...it would be a mega help.
Hi @alvin9751

I mentioned that my husband died. I'm not sure how things work with annulments but this is what I did:

In section 1.43 of the form I put the date of his death and that we were estranged at the time with a note to see page 22.

On page 22 I clearly stated that I was NOT applying as a spouse of a BC. That I was applying based on the 5 year route, and that I believed I meet the requirements as set out in Section B listed on pages 4-5 of the AN booklet. I also briefly explained the ending of my marriage.

I hope that helps.

Best of luck.

alvin9751
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by alvin9751 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:25 pm

Thanks Essa much much appreciated for your help and time..ready to go now..I'll update you on this soon I get any response from HO.😊

ess212
Newly Registered

Post by ess212 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:30 pm

alvin9751 wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:25 pm
Thanks Essa much much appreciated for your help and time..ready to go now..I'll update you on this soon I get any response from HO.😊
Best of luck to you.