ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Royal Mail failed to deliver approval letter from HO

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

fiv
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Royal Mail failed to deliver approval letter from HO

Post by fiv » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:59 pm

Hi everyone,

I applied for BC in May. My application was "decided" on the 25 sep and I received an invitation to attend a ceremony from my local council on the 14 Oct.

However, the letter from the HO never arrived. So I rang them up on their enquiries phone call and they said that my letter was sent on the 3 Oct but was then returned by Royal Mail to them on the 11 Oct as they failed to make the delivery. The HO provided the correct address so how did Royal Mail fail to deliver the letter?

They have told me to send an email to further enquiries to ask them to resend the letter. But apparently they reply within 20 working days!

My council is waiting for me to book a ceremony but there is no way I will be able to do that within 21 days as 2 weeks have already gone and they might reply to me within the next 4 weeks.

Is there the possibility that the council returns my naturalisation certificate before I receive my approval letter?

Shaolin
Newly Registered
India

Re: Royal Mail failed to deliver approval letter from HO

Post by Shaolin » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:17 pm

Royal Mail ? I was under the impression that its DX who delivers all the HO correspondenc. I might be wrong but thats what my understanding was until I read your post.

fiv
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by fiv » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:31 pm

Shaolin wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:17 pm
Royal Mail ? I was under the impression that its DX who delivers all the HO correspondenc. I might be wrong but thats what my understanding was until I read your post.
That's what the HO person said on the phone. In any case whoever they use returned the approval letter back to them and didn't deliver it.

bruteforce
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by bruteforce » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:54 pm

If you have received an invitation from the Council, can you not just book the ceremony with them?

fiv
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by fiv » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:01 pm

bruteforce wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:54 pm
If you have received an invitation from the Council, can you not just book the ceremony with them?
They want the ref number from the approval letter.

bruteforce
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by bruteforce » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:11 pm

Ah, if I were you, I would First try ALL references numbers including actual application number and then phone HO to try and get the number over the phone. No harm in playing all the cards.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:21 pm

Shaolin wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:17 pm
Approval letters are sent out standard 2nd class post in a brown A5 envelope.

DX Couriers are used for the BRP cards (visas and ILR)
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

baddy
United Kingdom

Post by baddy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:48 pm

fiv wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:01 pm
bruteforce wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:54 pm
They want the ref number from the approval letter.
May be the people that have received their letters can help with this. HO ref will be the case ID I am assuming!. Those numbers that start with '2'.

Aparva
Newly Registered

Post by Aparva » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:44 am

Approval letter is must for attending ceremony, Registrar will keep it after handing you citizenship certificate.

fiv
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by fiv » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:17 pm

Aparva wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:44 am
Approval letter is must for attending ceremony, Registrar will keep it after handing you citizenship certificate.
That’s right. I did manage to book a ceremony with the council for the 14 December. I emailed further nationality enquiries about resending it and hopefully it should arrive given there is a bout 2 months until the ceremony.

Why they failed to deliver is beyond me. The address was correct so my guess is a) someone at home office messed up or b) Royal Mail just decided not to deliver it for some reason lol.

safatafa
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by safatafa » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:13 am

Hi

Email on this Citizenship Support <Citizenship.Support@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk>

this is the citizenship support line turnaround time i found is 24 hrs, but they can send you the letter by email.
use that if you don't receive a physical letter.

fiv
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by fiv » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:49 pm

safatafa wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:13 am
Hi

this is the citizenship support line turnaround time i found is 24 hrs, but they can send you the letter by email.
Thanks a lot for your advice. I have sent an email to that address. I have a ceremony booked on the 14 Dec so I really need it by then.

fiv
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by fiv » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:35 pm

fiv wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:49 pm
safatafa wrote:
Hi

Thanks a lot for your advice. I have sent an email to that address. I have a ceremony booked on the 14 Dec so I really need it by then.
Just to provide an update for other people who may be in a similar situation.

I emailed the citizenship support email address and they replied within 4 working days and they sent me a scanned copy of the approval letter. Further nationality enquiries email still haven’t responded so I wouldn’t recommend emailing them.

plabo
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by plabo » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:31 am

fiv wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:35 pm
fiv wrote:
safatafa wrote:
Hi

I emailed the citizenship support email address and they replied within 4 working days and they sent me a scanned copy of the approval letter. Further nationality enquiries email still haven’t responded so I wouldn’t recommend emailing them.
Congrats. So you mean that a print out of the scanned approval letter will be enough to attend the ceremony?

fiv
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by fiv » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:47 am

plabo wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:31 am
fiv wrote:
fiv wrote:
safatafa wrote:
Hi

Congrats. So you mean that a print out of the scanned approval letter will be enough to attend the ceremony?
That’s right. When I called my council they said it’s fine and in the home office email they said I can take that to the ceremony.

Having said that they also sent me a physical letter in the post again so now I have a physical copy too.

When I say they gave me a scanned copy it’s not really a scanned as it is typed in pdf. I printed it and it looks identical to the one I received in the post. There no differences other than that the home office use some cheap paper where when I printed it at work we have very glossy paper which looks much better.

So either should work. But definitely I would recommend emailing the citizenship support mailbox. I got a reply within 3-4 days whereas I still haven’t heard anything from further nationality enquiries and it’s been 3 weeks. I wonder if they will ever reply. Or maybe they were the ones who sent me a letter in the post!

PortugalMan
Newly Registered
Mood:
Portugal

Post by PortugalMan » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:14 pm

Hi fiv
How long did it take for them to resend your letter ? Was the second letter , second class as well? Cheers

Hstepper07
Nigeria

Post by Hstepper07 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:48 pm

PortugalMan wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:14 pm
Hi fiv
How long did it take for them to resend your letter ? Was the second letter , second class as well? Cheers
This is an old thread. You are unlikely to get a response.

mrgs1
Member of Standing

Post by mrgs1 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:42 pm

fiv wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:47 am
plabo wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:31 am
fiv wrote:
fiv wrote:

That’s right. When I called my council they said it’s fine and in the home office email they said I can take that to the ceremony.

Having said that they also sent me a physical letter in the post again so now I have a physical copy too.

When I say they gave me a scanned copy it’s not really a scanned as it is typed in pdf. I printed it and it looks identical to the one I received in the post. There no differences other than that the home office use some cheap paper where when I printed it at work we have very glossy paper which looks much better.

So either should work. But definitely I would recommend emailing the citizenship support mailbox. I got a reply within 3-4 days whereas I still haven’t heard anything from further nationality enquiries and it’s been 3 weeks. I wonder if they will ever reply. Or maybe they were the ones who sent me a letter in the post!
This was the thread I was referring to CR001 when I said someone attended their ceremony by printing a copy of the Home office email