ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

General Discussion During Naturalisation Application Process

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: General Discussion During Naturalisation Application Process

Post by CR001 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:47 am

MAS99 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:04 pm
CR001 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:04 pm
MAS99 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:00 pm
Hi

Do I have to book the ceremony in local council ? I mean what if they have long dates , can I then go to any other council and book ceremony ?

Thanks
Not so easy to change councils. Do it you have to notify HO and your council has to send your certificate back. Ho then yakes however lo g to send it to the new council. This process can take a few weeks
Thanks

I saw your post re rejected applications where you provide a format on how to respond back.. Do you have any advice on how to chase your application? I applied in July and still waiting .. People who applied in Aug/Sep have got their results back
All you can do is wait. HO won't give out any information until at least 6 months have passed.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

RDeen25
Newly Registered

Post by RDeen25 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:14 am

Seph27 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:38 am
I feel your pain and anxiety. You just should be patient until after 6 months. Then you may ask questions about the delay. If you must know, I am celebrating the 5th month anniversary of my application today and still “awaiting a decision”!
General question...

From which date do you account for this six month period? The date you applied (if via NCS) or the date of acknowledgement email/letter from HO?

navinw

Post by navinw » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:31 am

RDeen25 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:14 am
Seph27 wrote:
I feel your pain and anxiety. You just should be patient until after 6 months. Then you may ask questions about the delay. If you must know, I am celebrating the 5th month anniversary of my application today and still “awaiting a decision”!
General question...

From which date do you account for this six month period? The date you applied (if via NCS) or the date of acknowledgement email/letter from HO?
I believe its the acknowledgement(by HO) date.

Saulman
inactive

Post by Saulman » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:15 am

Dan1969 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:06 am
hi All,

I submitted my naturalization application in fab 2016, but i didn't receive the decision yet. I've called the home office so many time. However I've received the following same answer " your application under process. the caseworker will contact you if he/she need more information from you".

So, I'm wondering if there is any one suffered or suffering from the same problem. Please advise me?

If anyone received the decision after 6 months, could you mentioned how long it took please?

Also, I'm wondering if there is any option to know more about the status of the application as I didn't received any letter from the home office regarding the status of the application after 6 months as they mentioned in there acknowledgement letter.

Looking forward to hearing from you all.
Is that's 2016 or 2017 ? It's far more then 6 month. Application should decided by home office in 6 month. I don't understand why it took that long. That's their responsibility to their job as its bee over 6 month . I would email them and ask them you want to know why it does take so long and what's the main reason your case worker don't want to process your application?!

mrgs1
Member of Standing

Post by mrgs1 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:46 pm

RDeen25 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:14 am
Seph27 wrote:
General question...

The Ncs paperwork says it starts from the time they accept your application.

Seph27
Newly Registered

Post by Seph27 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:33 am

My application was ‘Decided’ exactly 5 months after the day it was RECEIVED by the Home Office and Letter of Approval of Citizenship ceremony received 10 days after the decision.

MAS99
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by MAS99 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:04 am

Well I hope it is good news for you

I am in my 5th month now.. so hopefully by end of Nov, I will have some news too

MAS99
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by MAS99 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:33 pm

Just got this reply from HO now

Thank you for your e-mail. All applications are dealt with in application receipt date order. As you application was received on 03rd July 17, It will take a while longer for your application to be considered. Once your application is decided, you will be contacted by your caseworker.

kirkerj
New Zealand

Post by kirkerj » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:35 pm

MAS99 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:33 pm

Thank you for your e-mail. All applications are dealt with in application receipt date order. As you application was received on 03rd July 17, It will take a while longer for your application to be considered. Once your application is decided, you will be contacted by your caseworker.
But we know that is rubbish as people who applied in August 2017 have had their applications approved.....

ALFI
Newly Registered

Post by ALFI » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:50 pm

Something very strange happened with my wife's application.

We received a letter dates 30th October that the application was successful. But later received another letter (dates one day after the first one - 31st October) stating that my application is having "exceptionally complex" circumastances and can not be decided before the end of the 6 months period.

First it is very strange why they are telling me about problems and not being decided, while in reality they sent letter earlier that is was successful!!!
Has anyone ever received such letter after successful one?

My initial thought was that this may just be automated letter that is sent for every application that is getting close to the 6th month deadline. But then I see many people on this forum has to wait more than 6 months and never got such update from HomeOffice. So confusing and no consistency whatsoever.

kirkerj
New Zealand

Post by kirkerj » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:55 pm

ALFI wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:50 pm

We received a letter dates 30th October that the application was successful. But later received another letter (dates one day after the first one - 31st October) stating that my application is having "exceptionally complex" circumastances and can not be decided before the end of the 6 months period.

First it is very strange why they are telling me about problems and not being decided, while in reality they sent letter earlier that is was successful!!!

My initial thought was that this may just be automated letter that is sent for every application that is getting close to the 6th month deadline. But then I see many people on this forum has to wait more than 6 months and never got such update from HomeOffice. So confusing and no consistency whatsoever.
If you have the approval letter you could try booking an appointment with the council. If the first letter as incorrect surely they would be able to confirm as they would have no record of the approval/or of the approval having been withdrawn?

Alternatively email them and your email should get forwarded to your case manager after a few days, the call centre people cannot really add much.

I would try the council route first

ALFI
Newly Registered

Post by ALFI » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:11 pm

Thanks for the advice. I was also thinking of checking with the local council first.
kirkerj wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:55 pm
ALFI wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:50 pm

If you have the approval letter you could try booking an appointment with the council. If the first letter as incorrect surely they would be able to confirm as they would have no record of the approval/or of the approval having been withdrawn?

Alternatively email them and your email should get forwarded to your case manager after a few days, the call centre people cannot really add much.

I would try the council route first

MAS99
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by MAS99 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:32 pm

kirkerj wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:35 pm
MAS99 wrote:

But we know that is rubbish as people who applied in August 2017 have had their applications approved.....
I asked them what date cases are currently progressed and they just replied that they are still witin 6 months.. I asked again..

They are very quick in replying ..

kirkerj
New Zealand

Post by kirkerj » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:43 pm

MAS99 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:32 pm
kirkerj wrote:
MAS99 wrote:

I asked them what date cases are currently progressed and they just replied that they are still witin 6 months.. I asked again..

I think the system is there is no system, I just wish they would stop saying they process in the order they receive them as its clearly incorrect

mrgs1
Member of Standing

Post by mrgs1 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:19 pm

kirkerj wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:43 pm
MAS99 wrote:
kirkerj wrote:
MAS99 wrote:

I think the system is there is no system, I just wish they would stop saying they process in the order they receive them as its clearly incorrect
I'm not praising them but I suspect you can't process them in order. If one agency doesn't reply in a given time then they have to delay and another later application is all in order they will grant citizenship, they can't hold it back because earlier ones haven't received all the information otherwise the backlog would just get bigger and bigger.

IcikePicike
Hungary

Post by IcikePicike » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:28 pm

mrgs1 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:19 pm
I'm not praising them but I suspect you can't process them in order. If one agency doesn't reply in a given time then they have to delay and another later application is all in order they will grant citizenship, they can't hold it back because earlier ones haven't received all the information otherwise the backlog would just get bigger and bigger.
Completely agree. This is why I can't stand it when long term posters here talk applicants out of adding additional info to their application.

While the Home Office will have to verify pretty much everything, the more information you give them, the easier you make it for them because obviously their enquiries will be more specific, shorter, etc.
The fewer questions they have to ask and the faster you or anyone else can respond, the faster your application will be decided.

kirkerj
New Zealand

Post by kirkerj » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:30 pm

mrgs1 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:19 pm
kirkerj wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:43 pm
MAS99 wrote:
kirkerj wrote:

Yes but if you are applying off the back of ILR there actually isn't much to check-entry into and out of the country and that's it. They MAY call your referee's but no one has bothered to call mine and apparently they don't often bother. Hence I don't see why the delay. I think they are understaffed and its the luck of the draw who you get to process your application.

IcikePicike
Hungary

Post by IcikePicike » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:33 pm

kirkerj wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:30 pm

Yes but if you are applying off the back of ILR there actually isn't much to check-entry into and out of the country and that's it. They MAY call your referee's but no one has bothered to call mine and apparently they don't often bother. Hence I don't see why the delay. I think they are understaffed and its the luck of the draw who you get to process your application.
Did you disclose anything regarding your National Insurance payments over the years, HMRC statements, P60s, employment letters?

kirkerj
New Zealand

Post by kirkerj » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:36 pm

IcikePicike wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:33 pm
kirkerj wrote:

Did you disclose anything regarding your National Insurance payments over the years, HMRC statements, P60s, employment letters?
No as I didn't have to attach them. I checked with an immigration lawyer who advised they were not necessary, I called and asked their helpline who advised it was not necessary for my application and the NCS also confirmed it was not necessary for my application

IcikePicike
Hungary

Post by IcikePicike » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:39 pm

kirkerj wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:36 pm
IcikePicike wrote:
kirkerj wrote:

No as I didn't have to attach them. I checked with an immigration lawyer who advised they were not necessary, I called and asked their helpline who advised it was not necessary for my application and the NCS also confirmed it was not necessary for my application
It's not necessary but it would have been the smart thing to do. Immigration solicitors can be terrible, the first one I went to had to Google the difference between ILR and EEA PR. I left his office within 5 minutes.

The solicitor I picked advised me to send everything, fully documenting my commitment to life in the UK (I was an ILR applicant too), employment record, my NI record of 23 years, HMRC statements, bank statements, education certificates, P60s, employer letters, the lot. Originals, land registry record of the property I own here.

From biometric screening, decision took less than 2 months.

edit: by the way, anyone that has been in the UK for long enough should know not to trust your local council. NCS is rubbish.

kirkerj
New Zealand

Post by kirkerj » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:46 pm

IcikePicike wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:39 pm
kirkerj wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:36 pm
IcikePicike wrote:
kirkerj wrote:

It's not necessary but it would have been the smart thing to do. Immigration solicitors can be terrible, the first one I went to had to Google the difference between ILR and EEA PR. I left his office within 5 minutes.

The solicitor I picked advised me to send everything, fully documenting my commitment to life in the UK (I was an ILR applicant too), employment record, my NI record of 23 years, HMRC statements, bank statements, education certificates, P60s, employer letters, the lot. Originals, land registry record of the property I own here.

From biometric screening, decision took less than 2 months.

edit: by the way, anyone that has been in the UK for long enough should know not to trust your local council. NCS is rubbish.
The guy I used was good, we use him for our UHNW clients at work. He said documents about salary etc are only required for those who are self employed or applying under an EEA treaty and to send them in would confuse the easily confused processing team. I trust him-0he did my ILR and highly skilled migrant visa apps and renewal for me. My employer has not changed.

Anyway I emailed them last week asking if they needed anything further and explaining mail was dodgy at my apartment block. They emailed back saying nothing further was required from me, they had all they needed so I didn't need to send all that in.

There are about 10 people at my work who have applied for citizneship in the last year and none sent in payslips etc and all got approved. The times varied from 2-5 months though.

IcikePicike
Hungary

Post by IcikePicike » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:24 pm

kirkerj wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:46 pm

The guy I used was good, we use him for our UHNW clients at work. He said documents about salary etc are only required for those who are self employed or applying under an EEA treaty and to send them in would confuse the easily confused processing team. I trust him-0he did my ILR and highly skilled migrant visa apps and renewal for me. My employer has not changed.

Anyway I emailed them last week asking if they needed anything further and explaining mail was dodgy at my apartment block. They emailed back saying nothing further was required from me, they had all they needed so I didn't need to send all that in.

There are about 10 people at my work who have applied for citizneship in the last year and none sent in payslips etc and all got approved. The times varied from 2-5 months though.
But it's not about the requirement, it's about playing the game. You have to look good, trustworthy, someone who is transparent and has nothing to hide. Comfortable with disclosing details. Perception is everything.

I didn't include payslips, there was no need for that much detail, but I included my finances because I could not be sure how biased the Home Office were when it came to earnings. I know they are biased for non-EU citizen visa applications so there is every reason to believe that it's something they look at.

My solicitor wanted me to prove for example how I financed myself when I was on study leave for a year, even though it's not required.

You have to try to cover any angle they look at because it's a lottery. Some of your colleagues were unlucky with a caseworker even though they had a good application, others were lucky with a not so good application. the whole point though is that when it comes to bureaucracy, you have to cover all angles because you just can't be sure.

So I honestly can't fathom why people just won't include stuff, it takes like 2 weeks to get hold of all the paperwork and you save on the anxiety because you know you have done your best.

Pavel_M
Newly Registered

Post by Pavel_M » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:35 pm

Hello. Not sure where I should post my question. I just wonder if UKBA informs my home country if I get British citizenship by naturalisation. The point is I am not allowed to have 2 passports in my home country.

ali_aboosi
Newly Registered

Post by ali_aboosi » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:46 am

Good morning everyone,
Thanks for those who contribute and special thanks to the moderators. This forum is most useful.

I have applied for the citizenship on 21st August 17 at Sutton Council and it did not cross my mind to include any details about my driving licence! Also, the application form does not ask for the licence number.

My issue is that my given name on my passport and biometric card differ slightly from that on my driving licence. The address on my licence is still my old address, though I still own that house and I could not change my address on the licence because the DVLA requested my passport once they spotted that minor name difference. Which I didn't respond to yet because I work in sales and I travel to Europe weekly. Example below of how different the names are.

I have given a certified copy of my older passport with my name spelt differently.

I have 1 endorsement on my licence, CU80, which is driving while using mobile phone commited on 28th April 15 and resulted in 3 points + fine and not criminal record or court. Please save the judgement as I have learned my lesson already! I have also got an SP30 (October 2014) but that did not get endorsed as I went for a course, and a few parking tickets which I paid on time.

So my question is: is there a value in me contacting the home office to send them a print out of the licence, obtained from the the government website? Or shall I leave them to do their job? There has been no contact from home office since I have submitted the biometric data.

Detailed explanation to the name difference:
PREVIOUS PASSPORT
Given name on passport was (example): George W Mathew
Surname (example): Bush

CURRENT PASSPORT
Given name on passport was (example): George WASHINGTON Mathew
Surname (example): Bush

So the difference is in fully spelling one of the middle names rather than abbreviating it.

tdealing

Post by tdealing » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:54 am

Hey all, it's me again. My status changed to decided on Friday the 27th of October, I still haven't received the decision letter. Does anyone know how long it usually takes?