ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Which 10 year period - long residence

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ilrapplicant8
Newly Registered
Malaysia

Which 10 year period - long residence

Post by ilrapplicant8 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:19 pm

Hi all

I have spent an afternoon googling for an answer but got no where, perhaps someone here might be able to help?

I entered the UK 25/Sep/2007, firstly on a student visa (3 yrs), then on a Tier 2 visa (3 yrs) and subsequently on a spousal FLR(M) visa which is what I am on now and will not expire until mid 2019. Total out of the UK days are just under the 540 days, heavily weighted towards the start of my 10 years as I took xmas and summer holidays abroad.

The ILR-Long residence rule states:

Your 10-year qualifying period starts from either:
when you arrived in the UK with a visa
when you were given permission to stay in the UK

I am in no rush to get my ILR as my current visa doesn't expire for another half a year. If I apply in a month or two does my "10 year" still start from date of entry (25/9/07) or should I use the most recent 10 year period on application?

Thanks in advance all.

learner300
Newly Registered
China

Re: Which 10 year period - long residence

Post by learner300 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:58 am

Hi,

"Your 10-year qualifying period starts from either:
when you arrived in the UK with a visa
when you were given permission to stay in the UK"

I remember reading that it states "whichever is later" between these two. You can find the full guide here https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... -v15_0.pdf

Good luck.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Which 10 year period - long residence

Post by zimba » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:31 pm

The min acceptable period is 10 years minus 28 days. That period must lie somewhere between the date of your application and the first entry to the UK.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice