ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BC referee is being nosey?!

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Basia1
Newly Registered

BC referee is being nosey?!

Post by Basia1 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:11 pm

Hello,
Not sure if this subject has been covered on this forum...
So one of my referees is asking to see my passport and wants to see my whole application before she will sign as a referee....
Now i thought that all she has to do is to check the page 3 of the application( my name) and check if the photo i have provided is mine? I didnt know that the referees has to check my passport and dig through my whole private life??
Has anyone had the same problem with referees asking to see your documents?!
TIA
Basia

mrgs1
Member of Standing

Re: BC referee is being nosey?!

Post by mrgs1 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:59 pm

A referee is someone you've known personally for the required number of years. It is not their right to check your application over its personal. I would expect them to know enough about me already and would not need to question my integrity.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:02 pm

This is really something you have to work out with your referees - there are no rules around what a referee can see or not. If you are not happy find another one.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

IcikePicike
Hungary

Post by IcikePicike » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:04 pm

Your referee is an idiot, pick someone else. She is either comfortable or not comfortable declaring what the HO wants. It's not her chance to boss you around on your application.

I'd be nervous trusting her.

Basia1
Newly Registered

Post by Basia1 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:01 pm

Thanks for all your replies. I was taken aback when she asked to be honest. Shes my husbands friend and a nurse (i was thinking of using her as a professional referee). I've known her for 5 years. Never thought that she will be so nosey!
Did any of you guys showed your passport to your referees?

kirkerj
New Zealand

Post by kirkerj » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:08 pm

Basia1 wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:01 pm
Thanks for all your replies. I was taken aback when she asked to be honest. Shes my husbands friend and a nurse (i was thinking of using her as a professional referee). I've known her for 5 years. Never thought that she will be so nosey!
They have to certify the photo attached to the form is you but I can't recall them having to see my passport. It was 4 months ago so maybe I have forgotten!

swintooh
Poland

Post by swintooh » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:41 pm

I, on the other hand, insisted on both my referees to have a look at all documentation including the passports - as I wanted to be absolutely transparent in why I need their support, contact details and signature. As both know me for a good part of 20 years they laughed and didn't want to see that, however what's more important is the fact I offered to be transparent.

If I had to certify someone's identity, I absolutely would want to see their official identification documents whether I know them or not (there is a penalty if you certify fraudulently or wrong details). So the fact someone wants to see your passport before they confirm your identity is actually the right thing to do.

mrgs1
Member of Standing

Post by mrgs1 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:24 pm

swintooh wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:41 pm
I, on the other hand, insisted on both my referees to have a look at all documentation including the passports - as I wanted to be absolutely transparent in why I need their support, contact details and signature. As both know me for a good part of 20 years they laughed and didn't want to see that, however what's more important is the fact I offered to be transparent.

If I had to certify someone's identity, I absolutely would want to see their official identification documents whether I know them or not (there is a penalty if you certify fraudulently or wrong details). So the fact someone wants to see your passport before they confirm your identity is actually the right thing to do.
Are you confirming their identity? On the form you are signing to confirm the photo is a true likeness, and you are eligible as a referee from the list. If you lied about whether you knew them would be fraudulent, knowing somebody for a number of years is no guarantee they are genuine, they could be using false documentation.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:48 pm

Basia1 wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:01 pm
The question doesn't make sense!

My professional referee was the vicar of my church where I'd (at that time) been a regular attendee for 7-8 years, am a regular reader, and was a member of the church council. The second referee was a family friend and nearby neighbor who I'd known for over 8 years. I myself acted as BC referee for a longtime family friend who baby sitted our children. Why would any of us need to see each other's passports??? That's crazy! The thought wouldn't even have occurred to any of us. Very strange. I think you maybe need to reconsider very seriously if you want these people in your life at all, much less if you want them to have anything to do with your application.
Last edited by ouflak1 on Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Basia1
Newly Registered

Post by Basia1 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:30 am

Mgs1 and Ouflak1 thats exactly what i was thinking! She only has to certify that the photo is to my true likeness and that she knew me for a number of years. I decided to drop her. She kept the form i sent her for 2 weeks already. Something tells me she isnt confident to be my referee (but coudnt refuse because my husband is like a brother to her, they know each other since nursery) I know that HO very rarely contacts the referes but in case it does then i cant trust she will even reply to them on time! Thank you for all your replies. I thought i was being unreasonable for not letting her see my application. But i am a very private person and she likes a good gossip so add 1 and 1 together....

cristiano1988
Newly Registered
Romania

Post by cristiano1988 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:18 am

Best way is to find another referee to sign for you.