ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

child was born in Belfast, Irish/British nationality

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ochahrour

child was born in Belfast, Irish/British nationality

Post by ochahrour » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:28 pm

Hi

My child was born in Belfast northern Ireland on 2014. I acquired indefinite leave to remain (from UK government) on 2017
I moved to live in northern Ireland from Nottingham on 2012 where I had a UK visa.
Is my child entitled to Irish citizenship as he was born in the island of Ireland and I now have indefinite leave to remain in northern Ireland?

Thank you

PS: I am posting here as my post in Ireland section had no reply

Trabant

Re: child was born in Belfast, Irish/British nationality

Post by Trabant » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:18 am

Correct me if I am wrong please:

Do you ask if:
your child has a right to a citizenship of a country it does not live nor was born in???

with this kind of logic - every mexican would have a right to get american (USA) passport as they are living on north american continent

secret.simon

Re: child was born in Belfast, Irish/British nationality

Post by secret.simon » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:00 am

Trabant, the relationship between the UK and Ireland is quite complex due to its history. You may wish to read up on it before commenting further.

Till very recently (2005), all children born on the island of Ireland were entitled to become Irish citizens. However, this option was, unsurprising given its generosity, abused (see the Chen case) and Ireland tightened its rules to require that children born on the island of Ireland are only entitled to Irish citizenship if one parent is either Irish, British, has ILR or has resided on the island of Ireland legally for three of the four years immediately preceding the birth of the child.
Trabant wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:18 am
with this kind of logic - every mexican would have a right to get american (USA) passport as they are living on north american continent
That is of course the logic of the EU. If NAFTA were like the EU, every Mexican, along with any of their non-Mexican family members, would have a right to reside in the US or Canada and would acquire automatically the right to permanent residence.

As an aside, interesting choice of username. I believe I have seen your namesake at the DDR Museum in Berlin.

To the OP, your question has been answered in your thread in the Ireland forum.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.