ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BRITISH CITIZENSHIP ON THE BASIS OF CHILD

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Sgohel
Newly Registered

BRITISH CITIZENSHIP ON THE BASIS OF CHILD

Post by Sgohel » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:01 am

My son has a british passport since his father is a EU national having a PR. I am a non-eu national having 5 year residency visa(EU family permit). My question is that can i acquire british citizenship on the basis of my child. My child is only 1 year old. Let me know the guidelines and procedure if it is possible to apply and when can i apply for British citizenship as a mother of British national.

cristiano1988
Newly Registered
Romania

Re: BRITISH CITIZENSHIP ON THE BASIS OF CHILD

Post by cristiano1988 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:07 am

From what i know its not possible, but better is to wait for some moderators. To explain you better.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:22 am

Sgohel wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:01 am
can i acquire british citizenship on the basis of my child.
No. An adult can only acquire naturalisation on their own merit.

What is your immigration status and history in the UK?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Sgohel
Newly Registered

Post by Sgohel » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:32 pm

I am holding a EEA 5 year family permit and residing with my Husband who has a EEA PR, i understand that i can apply for PR after 5 year and later on completion of 6 years can apply for naturalisation.

However i just wanted to know if there is another path whereby you can get british citizenship through child because it is natural that a child cannot live without his parents

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:34 pm

Sgohel wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:32 pm
However i just wanted to know if there is another path whereby you can get british citizenship through child because it is natural that a child cannot live without his parents
No there is no other quicker path for you. You require PR first anyway before you can qualify for citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:05 am

Sgohel wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:32 pm
it is natural that a child cannot live without his parents
It is possible to get temporary right to reside in the UK based on a British or other EU child living in the UK. But that does not automatically lead to permanent residency, let alone citizenship.

Adult citizenship or naturalisation is granted purely on the adult meeting the requirements of the British Nationality Act 1981 on their own and does not take family membership (except if the applicant has a British spouse) into account.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.