ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Changes to Spent Convictions and Good Character Changes

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ijustdontknow
Newly Registered

Changes to Spent Convictions and Good Character Changes

Post by ijustdontknow » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:19 pm

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can shed any light on an issue I am having.

I understand that the rules have changed recently and now there is an exception in the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act so that the assessment of good character on immigration and citizenship applications can be decided on both "spent" and "unspent" convictions.

Back around June 2008, due to an administrative mistake (by my mum grrrrr), I was stopped by the police only to find out that I was no longer a named driver on my mum's policy. I incurred a road-side fine and had 6 points put in my license. I did not go to court. I have read in some literature that an IN10 "conviction" is not considered a 'minor offence' even though I never went to court or was disqualified.

Under normal circumstances and under the previous good character regime, I understand that this would have been dismissed, to the extent that it wouldn't even be necessary to disclose as the rehabilitation period for that offence is 5 years (Fixed Penalty, road-side, etc). This has long gone from my license and, in fact, I don't even know the precise date to put in the form!!

Now that they have changed the rules and both spent and unspent convictions need to be declared, I am really concerned and I have my appointment with NCS next week. Does anyone know if the actual criteria for the assessment of good character has changed? or is it just the requirement to disclose and not fall foul of the dishonesty requirement? The relevant section of the guidance on the Home Office website Annex D Good Requirement is hidden as classified... (here: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _D_v02.pdf)

I am really worried that I am going to be refused just because the rules have changed... This was nearly 10 years ago when I was a teenager, it wasn't really my fault, I haven't had a single fine or conviction since, I am now a member of a chartered professional institution and a lecturer at university so I think I am of good character!

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Many thanks in advance

Ringway12
Newly Registered

Re: Changes to Spent Convictions and Good Character Changes

Post by Ringway12 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:48 am

[*]Hi whee you sucessful with your application? will like to know your outcome if possible? thank you!

ijustdontknow
Newly Registered

Post by ijustdontknow » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:51 pm

Anyone?

I have written a covering letter explaining how to conviction came to be. Is it worth sending that?

Thanks in advance

ijustdontknow
Newly Registered

Post by ijustdontknow » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:22 am

My application was approved, for everyone else's benefit. I did send a courtesy letter accompanying the application to explain the situation.