ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ajayrathore
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

British Passport

Post by ajayrathore » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:58 pm

Hi,
I am and Indian national and going to apply for both my British Naturalization and Passport application at the same time using my local council service https://www.newham.gov.uk/Pages/Service ... cking.aspx

I've one question regarding the supporting documents required for passport application, do I need to provide my parents (both Indian national) marriage certificate?
There is another section which asks for grandparents birth details as well. Is it mandatory to provide that?

Thanks,
Ajay

alterhase58
Germany

Re: British Passport

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:38 pm

Parents' and Grandparents' details are not required - your citizenship comes through naturalisation.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

ajayrathore
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ajayrathore » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:41 pm

Hi alterhase58,

Thanks for the reply
If I understand it correctly getting citizenship and passport are two separate procedures? Even after getting citizenship, I sill need to apply for the British passport? My question was more about the details required for filling up the passport application.

Thanks,
Ajay

rmahtani
Newly Registered

Post by rmahtani » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:02 pm

I seem to recall you need to provide details for the first passport. No certificates, just a statement.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:33 am

ajayrathore wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:41 pm
Hi alterhase58,

Thanks for the reply
If I understand it correctly getting citizenship and passport are two separate procedures? Even after getting citizenship, I sill need to apply for the British passport? My question was more about the details required for filling up the passport application.

Thanks,
Ajay
That is what I answered - no need for these details when applying for passport at the same time. Once your are naturalised = British citizen - HMPO will issue the passport. When it comes to apply for a renewal (in 10 years' time) all you will need is your naturalisation certificate and all uncancelled passports.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

ajayrathore
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ajayrathore » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:07 pm

Thanks to everyone who replied so far.

Another follow up question, I was going through the final document checklist for the citizenship application. This is what I found out
1) Confirmation of your residence in the United Kingdom.
2) Passport (including expired passport) or travel document. Only original passports or travel documents will be accepted for checking and they must cover the five or three year qualifying period. Please do not bring your own copies as the checking service team need to take copies of your original documents. If you do not have a passport or travel document you will need to supply alternative evidence of residency and identification such as:
3) salary slips
4) tax forms
5) P60 form
6) tax assessment forms (self employed)
7)benefits details (unemployed)

Now, I have the P60's from last 5 years so thats not a problem, the real issue is the salary slips which I only have for the last 12 months as I've changed employer. So can I get away with just producing last 12 months pay slips?
Regarding residence, is it enough to produce tenenacy agreements from last 5 years?
Is there any other requirement I am missing from the above checklist?

Thanks,
Ajay

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:20 pm

Now, I have the P60's from last 5 years so thats not a problem, the real issue is the salary slips which I only have for the last 12 months as I've changed employer. So can I get away with just producing last 12 months pay slips?
Not required
Regarding residence, is it enough to produce tenenacy agreements from last 5 years?
Not required. You only need your passports to prove residence.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ajayrathore
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ajayrathore » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:26 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:20 pm
Not required
Not required. You only need your passports to prove residence.
Looks like my question was not clear, I have an Indian passport at present and I am going to apply for both British citizenship and passport at the same time, surely my Indian passport cannot be used for proving my residence in the UK?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:29 pm

You are overthinking it. You DO NOT need evidence of your residence in the form of tenancy agreements etc for citizenship as a non-EU citizen. Your passports are sufficient. NCS will not take such documents to submit.

'Surely' your Indian passport has all your entry and exit stamps to prove when you were in the UK :idea: :idea:
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ajayrathore
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ajayrathore » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:37 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:29 pm
'Surely' your Indian passport has all your entry and exit stamps to prove when you were in the UK :idea: :idea:
Such an obvious thing and I missed it :)
So can you confirm I just need the completed form, my current and previous passports and ILR BRP when I go for Joint Citizenship and Passport Service (JCAP)?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:50 am

And LIUK and English requirement
Char (CR001 not Casa)

ajayrathore
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ajayrathore » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:40 am

What is the typical wait time for getting the naturalization certificate? Is it possible to get an early decision by paying more like a premium service?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:12 am

You receive your certificate when you attend the citizenship ceremony. If you look at the timeline threads you will see that it can take from 4 to 6 months to receive the decision and then you have a wait for the ceremony (unless you arrange a private one, at extra charge). There is no premium service for naturalisation, this doesn't come under immigration law. The ceremony is compulsory.

ajayrathore
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ajayrathore » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:04 am

Section 1.49 in the naturalization form AN
I am employed, so what should I fill under "Address of tax office or tax office reference"?
Also, do I need to provide Payslips and P60 along with the application? 5 years P60 is not a problem, but payslips I only have for last 12 months.

Thanks,
Ajay

ajayrathore
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ajayrathore » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:13 pm

Would appreciate if anyone could reply to the above query, my Nationality Checking Service appointment is on 15th Nov.

Thanks,
Ajay

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:48 pm

Fill in the tax reference shown on your latest P60 - P60 is sufficient.

ajayrathore
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ajayrathore » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:27 pm

Is it given under "Employer PAYE reference" on my P60?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:02 pm

Yes.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

ajayrathore
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ajayrathore » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:08 pm

Another question on the Referees and Identity Section 5 of form AN
Almost all of my friends and colleagues work in the IT sector, can I get two of them to refer me?
I am a little bit confused with the following wording

It says "One referee should be a person of any nationality who has professional standing, such as a minister of religion, civil servant, or a member of a professional body such as an accountant or solicitor".

None of my friends fit this description :(

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:54 pm

Your professional referee must be someone on the approved HO list.

https://www.gov.im/media/624353/listofreferees.pdf
Char (CR001 not Casa)

ajayrathore
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ajayrathore » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:39 pm

ok, this list has "Chairman/director of limited company".

Can I get reference from
1) My earlier boss who is now contracting as a Director of his own limited company.
2) One of my work colleague

Both are British nationals and work in the IT sector?

ajayrathore
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ajayrathore » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:05 pm

This is what I got

1st Referee
1) My former boss, now working as a contractor and Director in his limited company
2) GP
3) A friend who is a qualified Actuary (not a British Citizen)

2nd Referee
A work colleague (British Citizen)

Please suggest which one will work for 1st Referee.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:13 am

1st Referee
1) My former boss, now working as a contractor and Director in his limited company
2) GP
3) A friend who is a qualified Actuary (not a British Citizen)
1 is fine. 3 only if the friend is registered with the relevant governing body for Actuaries. GPs are no longer on the list.
2nd Referee
A work colleague (British Citizen)
Fine as long as older than 25.

Both referees must be of good character, i.e. no convictions etc.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

ajayrathore
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ajayrathore » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:50 pm

Hi,
My naturalization application is under processing at the moment, however I have since changed employer, do I need to inform Home Office about change in employment? If yes, then how?

ajayrathore
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ajayrathore » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:05 pm

Would really appreciate is someone can respond to my query above

Thanks