ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visa type for child birth in UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

hs6472
Newly Registered
India

Visa type for child birth in UK

Post by hs6472 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:07 am

Hi,

I am a British by decent , living in India. Me and my wife are having our first baby and we would like the birth to take place in the UK. We are prepared to pay for the NHS services, we just want to know what type pf visa is required by my wife which will allow her to legally do so without jeopardising British citizenship rights to the baby. Medical visa ? or can we do this on a simple tourist/ visitor visa ?

We just want the birth to take place in the Uk and then after registering the birth , we will come back to India.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

regards
HS

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Visa type for child birth in UK

Post by Casa » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:18 am

You can't pay for NHS treatment for the birth. You will have to apply for a Medical Visitor visa (now under Standard) but there are strict conditions for this, including documented evidence from the Consultant and Private Hospital that they will provide medical services for the birth and all related medical treatment ante-natal and post-natal for both the mother and the baby.

If you’re applying to visit for private medical treatment
You must prove that you:
have a medical condition that needs private consultation or treatment in the UK
have made or paid for arrangements for consultations or treatment
have enough money to pay for your treatment, support yourself without using public funds and pay for your return or onward journey
will leave the UK once your treatment is completed, or when your visa expires
are not a danger to public health if you’re suffering from an infectious disease, such as leprosy[
/i]

The ECO may well take the view that following the birth, you and your wife will overstay.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

hs6472
Newly Registered
India

Post by hs6472 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:30 am

Thanks for your reply.

When the term Private hospital or Private medical treatment is used, what do we mean exactly like actual Private hospitals or paid services in NHS hospitals ?

Secondly, why would a consultant or private hospital vouch for someone they haven't met or diagnosed in person ?

thanks & regards

hs6472
Newly Registered
India

Post by hs6472 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:35 am

Also,

Do you mean NHS doesn't offer paid maternity services ?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:49 pm

hs6472 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:35 am
Do you mean NHS doesn't offer paid maternity services ?
It does. I believe that all NHS treatment to non-EEA visitors is at 150% of cost.
NHS maternity care for women from abroad (in England) wrote:The amount you will be asked to pay will depend on the care that you and your baby need. Charges can be based on a local price system or the National Tariff Payment System and overseas visitors are charged 150% of the cost.
Maternity care is divided into antenatal care, birth and postnatal care; approximate charges for these services are:
  • Antenatal care £1590-£4233,
  • Birth £2244-£3282 (plus additional payments if you need a long stay in hospital),
  • Postnatal care £355.50-£1207.50
If your wife is in the UK, the NHS cannot refuse you maternity care, but any failure to pay will lead to future visa refusals.

Also be aware that rules and charges differ between the four nations of the UK. Also, if the child is born in Northern Ireland, the child would be entitled to both a British and Irish (EU) passport.

However, there are more immediate issues to look at.

In order for the ECO to grant the visit visa (either Standard or medical), s/he must be convinced that your wife will leave the UK within six months. Given that she is married to a British citizen and will likely give birth to a British citizen child in the UK, what evidence of strong connections to India have you attached to prove that she will return to India after the birth?

Is the only purpose of giving birth in the UK to maintain a claim to British citizenship for the child? If so, there may be other, albeit slightly more expensive, options.

Are you certain that you are a British citizen by descent? If so, was either of your parents born in the UK (not including any colonies)? If not, how did your British citizen parent(s) acquire his/her British citizenship? Have you lived in the UK for any three continuous years, with no more than 90 days absence from the UK per year? Do you intend to settle in the UK in the future for a period of at least three continuous years?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:32 pm

An extract from the UK Immigration Rules - Specified Evidence

V 4.15 The applicant must have arranged their private medical treatment before they travel to the UK, and must provide a letter from their doctor or consultant detailing:
(a) the medical condition requiring consultation or treatment; and
(b) the estimated costs and likely duration of any treatment which must be of a finite duration; and
(c) where the consultation or treatment will take place.

V 4.16 If the applicant is applying for an 11 month visit visa for the purposes of private medical treatment they must also:
(a) provide evidence from their medical practitioner in the UK that the proposed treatment is likely to exceed 6 months but not more than 11 months; and
(b) if required under paragraph A39 and Appendix T Part 1 of these Rules, provide a valid medical certificate issued by a medical practitioner listed in Appendix T Part 2 of these Rules confirming that they have undergone screening for active pulmonary tuberculosis and that this tuberculosis is not present in the applicant.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.