ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What should you say when agencies asks...

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

netacct

What should you say when agencies asks...

Post by netacct » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:19 pm

Many a times agencies ask me,

1. Have you got any offers?
2. Have you got any interviews lined up? Given any interviews so far? etc etc

I always say "just started no luck". Even thought that is not true.

But some of the agencies simply hang up by saying how come.... etc...

My question is what should you say so that you wont the miss the opp. they are going to discuss with you?

thanks in advance

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: What should you say when agencies asks...

Post by Wanderer » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:01 pm

netacct wrote:Many a times agencies ask me,

1. Have you got any offers?
2. Have you got any interviews lined up? Given any interviews so far? etc etc

I always say "just started no luck". Even thought that is not true.

But some of the agencies simply hang up by saying how come.... etc...

My question is what should you say so that you wont the miss the opp. they are going to discuss with you?

thanks in advance
Give them some bullshit, u've got a good sniff of a job in Mongolia and give the guy a made up name and number in Ulan Bator.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

nshar1

Post by nshar1 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:50 pm

I think you are doing the right thing by telling them that you have no offers or interviews lined up and that you just started with your job search.

First of all it is none of their business to ask such details. Secondly many of these agencies are less interested in your profile and more interested in finding out who all is hiring. Even if you tell them few names these idiots will eventually hang up.

Let me tell you a conversation I had with an agent(Every word here is true):
Agent: We have 3-4 openings which match your profile
I: Great
Agent: Hows your job search going on?
I: Not too good. The job market is slow.
Agent: Did you have any interviews?
I: Nothing concrete
Agent: How come...You have very good experience?
I: I had one or two interviews with start-ups. I did not want to join them.
Agent: So why did you go for an interview for a company which you did not want to join.
I: I had no idea that these were startups
Agent: What are the names of these companies?
I: Sorry, I can't disclose the names. It would be unfair to the agents who had referred me there.
Agent: I want to avoid duplication. I need to know the names so that I don't send your CV to these companies again.
I: Don't worry about these companies these were just startups.
Agent: I have few start-ups as my clients.
I: Don't forward my CV to start-ups. Rememer I told you in the beginning of the conversation that I am not interested in start-ups.
Agent: My team is in the process of writing job specs for these positions. I will get back to you as soon as they are done.
I: I understand you very well and <I hang up>
8)

I have few observations:
-these fake agents are always men.
-their english is highly accented- seems like european accent.
-they do not understand a bit about recruitment. If you probe them slightly you will easily find out they have no stuff.

nshar1

Post by nshar1 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:58 pm

One more observation
If the agent hasn't told you the name of the company in his conversation with you and claimed that he will send a mail to you...don't expect a mail and don't trust this guy.

All the agents who have forwarded my CV have dropped a mail to me with either the job spec or confirming that my CV has been forwarded to so and so.

taiwookunade
Newly Registered

Post by taiwookunade » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:45 am

I agree with you nshar1. I got a similar call from a purpoted agent yesterday and he wanted to know was the name of the company that had interviewed me and the name of the MD. I told him I could not remember everything about the company and he said I should send the details to him when I do. One thing that came to my mind after the call was how does it affect me. He told me he only needed the company's details to avoid duplication, even though I told him the company is very small and I dont think they do post job vacacies on the internet since I was introduced to them by a friend.

Th funny part of the conversation is that he told me they have some jobs that might suit me but as the conversation progresses, he started diverting dicussion to the companies that have interviewed me.

Honestly, i'm getting frustrated with the ways things are going down here. Even the recruitment agencies that seem to be genuine will come back to you later with an explanation that their clients are specific with their requirements of UK experience. I wonder how the experience will come if I dont start from somewhere. At times, agencies will respond to your applications by stating that their clients are looking for people of lesser experience. This is regardless of whether you are willing to take the role at a meagre pay.

Guys, what do you think is the way forward? I hope going back home wont be the final option!!!!

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:01 am

Yes, many times they ask me about where i had Interviews, who took my interviews ,what were the Qs. asked??
WHY do they need to know that??Bcoz they want to know WHO is recruiting..They r not helping YOU,they r helping THEMSELVES..So never give them any details, if they insist - Hang up...They r not genunine anyways..it will do more harm to talk to them

WorkPermitIssues

Post by WorkPermitIssues » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:25 pm

Exactly. I agree with AshishAshah. Thats the approach to be followed.

Infact you can even be straight forward with them. If they start asking you about company details and all, tell them, " You are wasting your time mate, that ain'nt gonna come out of me. "

herts
Member of Standing

Post by herts » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:58 pm

I think this is the main problem with IT jobs as there are so many candidates and so many jobs. In other sectors or even other engineering disciplines I havent seen agents talking like they do in IT sector

netacct

Post by netacct » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:33 pm

When I told an agency that I got one more interview with other company he simply canceled the already scheduled interview saying that the vacancy is filled now :(

Kaff
Member of Standing

Post by Kaff » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:18 am

Here is my experience.
First week I got heaps of calls from genioun and fake agents, got only 2 interviews lined up for next week, once interviews are done, waited for results and got job offer in third week in IT sector.

Now here are my observations.

1. Regardless of Women or Men agent, you have to judge who is on track while talking to you.
2. All members are right on this forum about not to disclose about which company you been interviewed. Siplay say that I just started looking and have no interview scheduled yet but soon you will get some details. Simple.
3. If they ask why not you are getting calls or interviews, simply say that market is slow and may be my expectations are bit higher.
4. A good recruitment agency agent will possibly call you to meet him and get you ready for interview etc..

This is what I got so far..

Will keep you posted..

Good Luck
Kaff

london12345
Newly Registered

Post by london12345 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:09 pm

came uk in the first week of march still looking for job.. on a average i get 3-4 calls a day from consultant.. so far no interviews from client.. as usual consulants promise to forward cv and hang-up and they do ask about client for the reason of duplication...

on the first day i got around 20 calls .. one of which i want to share with you all .. which made me upset for few days until they (someone from same consultancy) called me again.

call started with conversation about my background, experience and clients for which i worked.. later when i told him about my expectation he said its bit higher than the market rate and he asked me how i concluded this rate. i said some of my friends are working here with similar experience. he started enquiring about the companies for which they (my friends) are working, which i simply refused to disclose... they guy hung-up the phone with the sentence 'with this kind of attitude you will not get job in uk and you will not get any call from ----------- (name of the consultancy) in future'.

i was upset for couple of days until i got call from the same consultancy .. this time different person.. i asked him whether he called me before.. he said no this is first time they are calling as they maintain a log of every call ..

SKUK
Member of Standing

Post by SKUK » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:01 pm

Learn to ignore such comments. You did the right thing by not disclosing information to that agent. He is not an Oracle to predict your destiny.

What technology are you in ?

apachegmf
Newly Registered

Post by apachegmf » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:32 pm

Hi,

I am Oracle DBA having 5+ years of experience,Planning to fly down in 2nd week of April.

so pls let me know the things how to start the job or rather let me know the market status over there... currently i can see lot of opening for Oracle DBA in jobserve.com , reed.co.uk.. and all.

Regards...

nshar1

Post by nshar1 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:15 am

london12345 wrote:came uk in the first week of march still looking for job.. on a average i get 3-4 calls a day from consultant.. so far no interviews from client.. as usual consulants promise to forward cv and hang-up and they do ask about client for the reason of duplication...

on the first day i got around 20 calls .. one of which i want to share with you all .. which made me upset for few days until they (someone from same consultancy) called me again.

call started with conversation about my background, experience and clients for which i worked.. later when i told him about my expectation he said its bit higher than the market rate and he asked me how i concluded this rate. i said some of my friends are working here with similar experience. he started enquiring about the companies for which they (my friends) are working, which i simply refused to disclose... they guy hung-up the phone with the sentence 'with this kind of attitude you will not get job in uk and you will not get any call from ----------- (name of the consultancy) in future'.

i was upset for couple of days until i got call from the same consultancy .. this time different person.. i asked him whether he called me before.. he said no this is first time they are calling as they maintain a log of every call ..
These agents are falling to any extent to get the information they want.

London12345 - You should have replied to that idiot there and then "Who the hell has sought your opinion about my attititude. And as far as I remember my attitude has always been appreciated.Please give your opinions only when asked for.".

Reply to an insult with an insult.

As for these agents, please remember there are so many of these dirty types. We have to protect ourselves from them.
I have been regularly telling the agents that I am not willing to disclose this information...I don't think I have lost out on any opportunities because of this. No genuine agent will dis-connect talking to you for your refusal disclose details. Infact they should be happy that you wouldn't be further disclosing info about their opportunities.

As for a large number of calls on the first day, the agents seem to have an automatic feed of any new job-seekers and they waste no time in talking to the candidate and add the CV to their database. Its seems like their marketing strategy - to showcase to companies that they have such a large database of candidates.

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:35 pm

I would say ,dont get upset abt. this things..In UK ALL agents(job and house i know of) are suckers...They just want to suck you and throw you ..You will find similar horror stories about Estate agents(for renting or buying)...Initially i used to get upset about this,but found that its the way of life here...If u get a call from recruitment agent, talk to him,if he asks for any info, just say that YOU CANNOT GIVE ANY INFORMATION ABOUT ANY OTHER JOB AS THAT IS CONFIDENTIAL...If they still want u,they will talk OR ITS THEIR LOSS,THEY HAVE LOST A CLIENT...Also remeber their compnay name, if any 1 calls you from that co. again ,make sure that you tell him about your exp. with his collegue..

netacct

Post by netacct » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:39 pm

Thats true, agents (job, estate, or anything) are more or less same everywhere in the world. They are really suckers...thats why they are called agents.

london12345
Newly Registered

Post by london12345 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:30 pm

@nshar1 - that was my first day in london and i didn't know these fact that these people call to know where is the requirement... only because this consultant was so desperate to know the name of company.. i smell something fishy and didn't disclose the information...

came to know the actual fact about these consultant from this forum..so i thought lets share my exp as it may be of some help to other people here..

london12345
Newly Registered

Post by london12345 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:37 pm

just want to add ..

if you notice the ad posted in cwjobs or jobserve regularly for a month you will find that few job ad repeats after a gap of 15-20 days.. i really doubt sometime whether the ad represent the actually vaccancies or just to trap to collect the information, regulary from market as how many candidates are still available in market for job, by the consultants..

whatever be the case i do apply in all of them ..