ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Extension of stay beyond 6 months for family visitors

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

vijayg

Extension of stay beyond 6 months for family visitors

Post by vijayg » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:34 pm

Hi,

My Parents-In-Law have visited us in UK in August 2017 (via multiple-entry Family visitor visa) and due to return in February 2018.

My Sister-in-law (My wife's sister) is arriving to UK in 1st week of December 2017 and is due for delivery towards end of January 2018.

In this scenario, are there any chances to extended the stay of my Parents-In-Law beyond Feb 2018 at least for a month?

Please advise.

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards,
VJ.

secret.simon

Re: Extension of stay beyond 6 months for family visitors

Post by secret.simon » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:14 pm

vijayg wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:34 pm
My Sister-in-law (My wife's sister) is arriving to UK in 1st week of December 2017 and is due for delivery towards end of January 2018.
Is your sister-in-law arriving in the UK on a visitor's visa or is she otherwise resident in the UK?

The Immigration Rules caution against "frequent and successive visits" to the UK. If your parents visit too often, it may cause issues with future visit visa applications.
Part 4 of Appendix V - Immigration Rules for visitors wrote:V 4.2 The applicant must satisfy the decision maker that they are a genuine visitor. This means that the applicant:
(a) will leave the UK at the end of their visit; and
(b) will not live in the UK for extended periods through frequent or successive visits, or make the UK their main home; and
(c) is genuinely seeking entry for a purpose that is permitted by the visitor routes (these are listed in Appendices 3, 4 and 5); and
(d) will not undertake any prohibited activities set out in V 4.5 – V 4.10; and
(e) must have sufficient funds to cover all reasonable costs in relation to their visit without working or accessing public funds. This includes the cost of the return or onward journey, any costs relating to dependants, and the cost of planned activities such as private medical treatment.
Contrary to popular belief, there is no 6 months in a year rule. If the Entry Clearance Officer or the Immigration Officer come to the conclusion that your parents have made frequent or successive visits to the UK and are effectively residing in the UK, they can refuse your parents a renewal of their visit visas, even if they stayed in the UK less than six months each time.
Last edited by secret.simon on Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:24 pm

In addition to secret.simon's question about your sister-in-law's status in the UK (visitor or resident), who is due to give birth? Your sister-in-law or your wife :?:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:27 pm

Good spot, Casa. I assumed it would be the sister-in-law, but of course, it could be the wife.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:54 pm

Don't think they will qualify for an extension as they will have been in the UK for 6 months already at that point. Also a very expensive excersise IF they qualified.

https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor-vis ... -your-visa
6. Extend your visa

You may be able to extend your visa as long as the total time you spend in the UK is less than 6 months. For example if you apply for a 3 month visa, you can apply to extend it for 3 more months.
Fees
You must pay:

£993 if you apply to extend your visa by post
£1,583 if you apply in person
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.