ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalization for my daughter

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

tharmia81
India

Naturalization for my daughter

Post by tharmia81 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:51 am

Hi,

I got my ILR (via Tier2 General) on Aug 2017.
My wife and daughter are still in Tier2 general dependant visa which expires on Sep 2018.
My daughter born in India (July 2014).
I'm planning to apply naturalization for me on Aug 2018.
My questions:
1. Along with my naturalization application (Aug 2018), can I apply naturalization for my daughter?
2. If no, when can I apply naturalization for my daughter?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Naturalization for my daughter

Post by CR001 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:07 am

1. Along with my naturalization application (Aug 2018), can I apply naturalization for my daughter?
No, you cannot. Children born abroad are expected to hold ILR and she will follow the same immigration path as your spouse.
Once she has ILR and EITHER parent is already British or applying for citizenship at the same time as the child.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

tharmia81
India

Post by tharmia81 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:13 am

Thank you for the information.

1. So in this case , can I apply naturalization for my daughter after I get my UK passport? (at this point, still my wife will be my dependent)

Thanks

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:31 am

Children born abroad have no automatic entitlement to British citizenship. They are granted British citizenship at the SSHD's discretion.

Currently, for the discretion to be exercised, the SSHD/Home Office looks for the following;
a) At least one parent either is a British citizen or is applying to be a British citizen.
b) The other parent AND the child hold ILR or PR or settled status in the UK
c) Depending on the age of the child, they will look at the period of time the child has resided in the UK and if the child meets the good character requirements.
Last edited by secret.simon on Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:33 am

tharmia81 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:13 am
1. So in this case , can I apply naturalization for my daughter after I get my UK passport? (at this point, still my wife will be my dependent)
Did you read my responses to your questions properly???
CR001 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:07 am
No, you cannot. Children born abroad are expected to hold ILR and she will follow the same immigration path as your spouse.
Once she has ILR and EITHER parent is already British or applying for citizenship at the same time as the child.
Edit: beaten by secret.simon :wink:
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

tharmia81
India

Post by tharmia81 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:31 pm

Thanks for the information