ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR card has expired -do I need a new one before applying for UK citizenship?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Iron_Lily
Newly Registered
Russia

ILR card has expired -do I need a new one before applying for UK citizenship?

Post by Iron_Lily » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:22 pm

Being rubbish at personal admin, I let my ILR card expire earlier this year without taking a notice. We are now in a process of applying for UK citizenship, so I called the Home Office today and asked them to advise if I need to replace an expired card before submitting an application. To my surprise, they did not seem to be concerned about it. The advice I received from them was along the lines of: "it is fine as long as you have ILR, even if the card itself has expired". I am still concerned though - it took me long time to save up for citizenship fees and losing them due to bureaucratic/admin error would be disastrous. Could any of the resident experts please confirm it is really OK to apply with an expired permit card? Thank you

bruteforce
Mood:
Pakistan

Re: ILR card has expired -do I need a new one before applying for UK citizenship?

Post by bruteforce » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:10 am

I think you have been given correct advice AGAIN by HO help line (for a change). They are right in saying that ILR itself never expires, it’s the card that has expiry date. Don’t waste £££ on getting a new BRP first.