ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Notifying my home country after obtaining British Citizenship?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Dimik
Newly Registered

Notifying my home country after obtaining British Citizenship?

Post by Dimik » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:30 pm

Hello,

I was wondering, what kind of responsibility one has (in relation to their home country) after receiving British citizenship. Do I have to notify them? Does UK government do it on my behalf?

In my case, German citizen, received British by naturalization. What do I need to do in relation to Germany, if anything?

Thank you!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Notifying my home country after obtaining British Citizenship?

Post by CR001 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:41 pm

HO does not do it for you. It is your responsibility if the German authorities require to be informed.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

tallahassee

Post by tallahassee » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:22 pm

Hi Dimik,

Check the website of the German Embassy in London, they have an FAQ about Brexit and getting a dual citizenship with the UK.

Last time I checked, you don't have to do anything as long as the UK is still part of the EU. So if your naturalisation happens before the UK exits the EU you are fine. Under German law you are allowed to get dual EU citizenship. I think it says you should mention it once you go renew your German passport though.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:53 am

No need to inform the German authorities, except for passport applications you have to state which other nationalities you hold. This is a formality, under German law you are allowed to obtain an EU host country nationality. And there are no plans to remove your German citizenship after exit.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.