ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish Citizenship Through Great-Grandfather

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jayorjforshort
Newly Registered
Australia

Irish Citizenship Through Great-Grandfather

Post by jayorjforshort » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:29 pm

Hi all,

First time posting on here. After some clarification regarding gaining Irish citizenship through my great-grandfather.

My descent is as follows:
Great-grandfather born in Ireland in 1887
Grandfather born in Australia in 19XX
Father born in Papua New Guinea in 1953
Me born in Australia in 1996

If I’m correct, my father is able to claim citizenship through his grandfather by registering on the Foreign Births Register but I am unable to as he was not registered before my birth.

Is there any way around this being that my father was born before 1956 when the laws were changed or would he still have to have registered regardless? Reading through the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act, 1935 (http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1935 ... d/en/print), specifically Section 2, leads me to believe that he may be classed as a natural-born Irish citizen and may not have to have registered before my birth, thus making me entitled to citizenship.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Jay

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Irish Citizenship Through Great-Grandfather

Post by Wanderer » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:10 pm

Think you'd need the birthdate of your grandfather, as the Irish Free State (Saorstát Éireann) only existed from 1922 to 1937. If he was born before before 1922 Ireland was part of The United Kingdom and I've no idea how nationality/citizenship applied then.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

jayorjforshort
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by jayorjforshort » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:29 pm

Hey mate, thanks for the reply. My grandfather was born on the 24th of August, 1922.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:47 am

jayorjforshort wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:29 pm
Hey mate, thanks for the reply. My grandfather was born on the 24th of August, 1922.
Bearing in mind I'm no expert on this - just have an Irish grandfather and Irish family, UK born and bred but living in Ireland for the last year or so.

IMHO, prior to 6th December 1922 anyone born in Ireland was a British Subject, as I'm not sure Irish citizenship even existed at that time. After the establishment of the Free State, as I understand it, Irish people would still be British Subjects since it wasn't true independence. Lot of history on this, interesting stuff but a big read.

I was going to type more but I'm doubting myself, need to read more - it's interesting stuff. In the meantime hope someone replies with more accurate advice that I can give.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

nukes
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by nukes » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:06 am

Might be wrong, but I think you have missed it by one generation. I would love to be proved wrong. I have just moved to Eire three days ago wit a view to obtaining citizenship by association (great grandparent),it is a minimum of three years. My gg born in Ireland 1860odd, grandad born Yorkshire,dad born Yorkshire 1924. As I said I would love to be proved wrong.

Berlingo
Newly Registered
Germany

Post by Berlingo » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:30 pm

My recommendation would be to make the application anyway, using your grandparent as the first chain in the line, but include the documentation from your great-grandparent. Finding official documents takes time and is expensive, especially with the marriages, divorces etc. of each generation, plus the application fee, but I have read that in some cases a FBR certificate was obtained by application by each individual. I will let you know the outcome of my application.

Bluey105

Post by Bluey105 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:52 pm

Wanderer wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:47 am
jayorjforshort wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:29 pm
Bearing in mind I'm no expert on this - just have an Irish grandfather and Irish family, UK born and bred but living in Ireland for the last year or so.

IMHO, prior to 6th December 1922 anyone born in Ireland was a British Subject, as I'm not sure Irish citizenship even existed at that time. After the establishment of the Free State, as I understand it, Irish people would still be British Subjects since it wasn't true independence. Lot of history on this, interesting stuff but a big read.

I was going to type more but I'm doubting myself, need to read more - it's interesting stuff. In the meantime hope someone replies with more accurate advice that I can give.
That's not correct. My grandmother was born in 1916 and was an Irish citizen. Why would someone remain a citizen of the country which has ceased to control their country of birth?

As for the OP, sorry but you're one generation off.

jayorjforshort
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by jayorjforshort » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:11 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone. As I suspected, I’ve missed it by one generation unfortunately. It seems every avenue I go down to try and remain in the UK I miss out because of something stupid. I take it claiming UK citizenship is also limited to two generations?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:39 pm

What is your current immigration status in the UK?

How long have you been in the UK?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

jayorjforshort
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by jayorjforshort » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:36 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:39 pm
What is your current immigration status in the UK?

How long have you been in the UK?
I was previously here on a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme visa which expired and I am now in the UK till mid February as a visitor.

Bluey105

Post by Bluey105 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:49 am

jayorjforshort wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:11 pm
Thanks for the replies everyone. As I suspected, I’ve missed it by one generation unfortunately. It seems every avenue I go down to try and remain in the UK I miss out because of something stupid. I take it claiming UK citizenship is also limited to two generations?
I believe it is limited to those with a parent who was a British citizen at the time of their child's birth.