ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport application for child born in India to UK citizen parents

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

majid.er
Newly Registered

Passport application for child born in India to UK citizen parents

Post by majid.er » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:29 am

Hi All,

I need some guidelines of how I can apply for British passport for my son born in India.

Both parents are British (Natularized) citizens.

Do we need to apply for naturalization of the new born and then passport?

Any guidelines of what the process is and what it entails will be much appreciated.

Thanks one and all.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Passport application for child born in India to UK citizen parents

Post by CR001 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:55 pm

A passport from India can take up to 6-12 months to be processed. It is usually quicker to get an Indian passport and apply for RoA or CoE and then apply for a British passport when child is back in the UK.

If you were British at the time of the childs birth, then the child is automatically British and no need to first register him.

Beneficial though to register his birth at the British Embassy.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:36 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:55 pm
It is usually quicker to get an Indian passport and apply for RoA or CoE and then apply for a British passport when child is back in the UK.
majid.er wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:29 am
As both parents are British citizens, the child is not an Indian citizen by birth and therefore cannot apply for an Indian passport. Therefore, CoE-RoA is not an option.

CoE-RoA on an Indian passport is only an option if the child is a dual British-Indian citizen by being born to one British and one Indian parent in India.

You can apply directly for a British passport for the child, but as CR001 has mentioned, it can take upto a year.

As CR001 has mentioned above, it is also a good idea to get a consular birth certificate for the child.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:41 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:36 pm
CR001 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:55 pm
It is usually quicker to get an Indian passport and apply for RoA or CoE and then apply for a British passport when child is back in the UK.
majid.er wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:29 am
As both parents are British citizens, the child is not an Indian citizen by birth and therefore cannot apply for an Indian passport. Therefore, CoE-RoA is not an option.

CoE-RoA on an Indian passport is only an option if the child is a dual British-Indian citizen by being born to one British and one Indian parent in India.
Missed that!!! I need a holiday :oops:
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

majid.er
Newly Registered

Post by majid.er » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:14 pm

Many thanks to @CR001 and @secret.simon for the clear and exact answer I was looking for