ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Needing advice about moving to Ireland, British national!

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mazart25
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Needing advice about moving to Ireland, British national!

Post by mazart25 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:38 pm

Hi everyone,

I was just looking for some advice about moving to Ireland and the process about it. I was born here in Scotland. I'm currently married and my husband is from Pakistan, we're both looking to move to Ireland permanently to be together. We got married here in Scotland so we have a registration certificate. Unfortunately due to circumstances he has to go back to Pakistan before we can apply for another UK visa but I really don't want to be apart from him so we decided to see if moving to Ireland is a valid option.

I know that I can easily just fly into Ireland and that's it for me. But I'm unsure about the process for my husband. I know there's the EEA family member card or something? I've been reading online that I would need to go there and my husband would need to come there for 3 months (but how I'm not sure?) and apply for a 5 year residency card there?

Please can anyone help me of the process for a British person with a non-EU spouse moving to Ireland!!

Thank-you! :)

Hosoka
Newly Registered
Ireland

Re: Needing advice about moving to Ireland, British national!

Post by Hosoka » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:55 pm

Hi Mazart,

You can apply via EU treaty rights .You can check on INIS website for the requirements
http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/EU+Treaty+Rights

Good Luck!

shpirtshqipe
Member of Standing

Post by shpirtshqipe » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:47 pm

What’s your husband’s current immigration status or type of visa in Scotland and how long can he stay there?

This will allow other members to provide more specific advise

Generally speaking you’ll need 2-3 months to establish yourself as a Ordinary Resident in Ireland. That means getting a job, renting a house, bank account etc. This initial step will essentially pave the way to apply for your husband’s Residence Card.

Also be mindful that the whole process of getting the EUFAM or 5 Year Residence Card in ireland is lengthy and you’re looking at a minimum of 1 1/2 year’s. Secondly Brexit will have a direct impact if you are planing on returning in the UK once your husband has been granted the 5 Year Residence Card

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:32 pm

shpirtshqipe wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:47 pm
What’s your husband’s current immigration status or type of visa in Scotland and how long can he stay there?
See users other topic from the 'family immigration' sub forum. Currently appears to have no legal status in the UK.

immigration-for-family-members/help-hus ... l#p1566270
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

HappyKai
Newly Registered

Post by HappyKai » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:37 pm

Hi,
You can travel from UK on a ferry from Scotland to Belfast then a train to Dublin without a visa. Start looking for accommodation and a job as soon as you arrive. You can send your CV before you’re in Ireland, although some employers will not respond until you’re in Ireland. Send the EU1 form as soon as you have accommodation, even if the UK citizen hasn’t got a job yet. You have to include a covering letter explaining that the documents required will be sent when you have them. You have 3 months to get a job. Your husband can start working when he has temporary Stamp 4. It usually takes about a month after you send the EU1 form. Life in Ireland is more expensive than the UK, especially the first few months when you’re settling in.
All the best.