ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice Required

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ramsy66
Newly Registered

Advice Required

Post by ramsy66 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:59 pm

Hey people. I have wanted to immigrate since I can remember, with a trip to the US 4 years ago confirming my want to immigrate.

I'm currently in a bit of confusion, though. I am doing a course in Media that will get me a National Diploma in Media. Now I am really not enjoying the course and don't believe it's for me.

Now I'm wondering, would a national diploma in media really help me get into the US? As that's really all I'm doing it for.

Some of my friends have said that they won't really care much for this qualification and are looking more for engineering, finance and medical based qualifications.

How true is this? I really want to quit my course, but if I know it will truly help me get into the US I may push on.

I just want to immigrate over to the US to lead an average life, I have no real special work experience or qualifications how hard would it be for someone like me to immigrate?

I'm currently 17 years old, soon to be 18.

sakura
Diamond Member

Re: Advice Required

Post by sakura » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:25 pm

ramsy66 wrote:Hey people. I have wanted to immigrate since I can remember, with a trip to the US 4 years ago confirming my want to immigrate.

I'm currently in a bit of confusion, though. I am doing a course in Media that will get me a National Diploma in Media. Now I am really not enjoying the course and don't believe it's for me.

Now I'm wondering, would a national diploma in media really help me get into the US? As that's really all I'm doing it for.

Some of my friends have said that they won't really care much for this qualification and are looking more for engineering, finance and medical based qualifications.

How true is this? I really want to quit my course, but if I know it will truly help me get into the US I may push on.

I just want to immigrate over to the US to lead an average life, I have no real special work experience or qualifications how hard would it be for someone like me to immigrate?

I'm currently 17 years old, soon to be 18.
A national diploma would be quite useless for immigration purposes, sorry. Even people with a masters degree would find it hard, but the problem you would have is that it doesn't relate very well to any US qualifications. If you do A levels, then they can understand that more, but even that would be highly insufficient. You need at least a Bachelors with some years of experience to get a work permit.

The other option is to marry a US citizen and s/he sponsors you to join him/her in the US. A US permanent resident (green card holder) can also sponsor but it takes much longer.

I'd suggest you can do a few things;
1. gap year/work in America programmes (not for permanent residency, but you can at least live there for a while).
2. study in the USA - can be quite cheap if you go to a community college or obtain a scholarship. For this, your national diploma might be recognised, but you need to take the US high school diploma test - SAT or ACT (see www.collegeboard.com and www.fulbright.co.uk). Again, it won't allow you to settle there permanently, but you can spend 4 or so years there.
3. see if you qualify for a diversity lottery visa (see instructions: http://travel.state.gov/pdf/2009DVInstructions.pdf)