ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dependent ILR query

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

pradbis
Newly Registered

Tier 2 Dependant Visa switching sponsors

Post by pradbis » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:20 pm

Folks, could not find the answer to this query from the posts on this forum on UK BA website.
We are from India. Me and my wife both work in UK with our individual Tier 2 permits (me - Tier 2 General and wife Tier 2 ICT).

Our children are in UK with us, their visas are Tier 2 Dependant tied to my wife's Tier 2 ICT permit.

Wife's assignment has ended and so does her Tier 2 ICT permit.

Question: We need to switch the Tier 2 dependant permit of our children from being tied to my wife's Tier 2 ICT to my Tier 2 General. Is that a fresh Tier 2 Dependant application? Can we apply in the UK, or do the children need to go back to India and apply?

Would be grateful for an answer.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:21 am

I think that your wife and children should apply from her own country, due to 319C(h) and 319H.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

pradbis
Newly Registered

ILR eligibility - absence of 1 year and 4 months

Post by pradbis » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:04 pm

Hi,

I have been in the UK since Sept 2008. Facts are:

Continuous visa coverage: Work permit, Tier 1 (General), Tier 4 (General) and Tier 2 (General)
I was absent from the UK for a period of 1 year and 4 months due to personal emergency (both parents with life-threatening illness plus birth of a child)

I am exploring the option of applying for ILR. I am thinking that I can adjust the application date to ensure that my absence of 1 year and 4 months gets split into 180 days in one 12-month period and 300 days in another. I plan to request discretionary ILR on compassionate grounds for my absence of 300 days.

My question is:

1) Is there a reason this will not work?
2) I see on the application form that you have to confirm that you have not been away for more than 12 months continuously in this period. Does anybody have knowledge of the UKBA giving an exception for this on compassionate grounds?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

- Prad

O_Relly

Re: ILR eligibility - absence of 1 year and 4 months

Post by O_Relly » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:19 am

Time spent on Tier 4 is not counted towards ILR.
Read
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... eriods.pdf
Cheers,
OR

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ILR eligibility - absence of 1 year and 4 months

Post by CR001 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:53 pm

Tier 4 can only be included in 10 year long residency applications, not on a 5 year route.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

pradbis
Newly Registered

Switching dependent visas

Post by pradbis » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:11 pm

Hi there,

As background, my wife & I are both Indian passport holders working in the UK. I am on Tier 2 (General) permit and my wife is on Tier 2 (ICT). My children are dependent on my wife's Tier 2 (ICT) permit. We now want to switch and move my wife & children to dependent visas dependent on my own Tier 2 (General) permit.

Qs: Do they need to go back to India to apply for this or can they make an in-country application in the UK?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

- Prad

pradbis
Newly Registered

Eligibility criteria for dependents on ILR applications

Post by pradbis » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:29 pm

Hi there, I am in the UK on a Tier 2 General permit, planning to apply for ILR in 2017. My wife is currently in UK as well, living with me, but on her own Tier 2 ICT visa (issued in 2012). Our children are on Tier 2 dependent visas linked to my wife's visa.

When I apply for ILR, my wife & children will also apply to be dependent on my ILR. My question is: do my wife & children need to be dependent on my visa at the time of application? Also, is there a time duration requirement (i.e. do they have to be dependent on my visa for a certain amount of time in order to be eligible)?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Eligibility criteria for dependents on ILR applications

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:32 pm

They cannot apply for ILR with you (if that is what you mean by ILR Dependent).

They can apply on FLR(M) once you are granted ILR but this will be a new 5 year route to ILR for your dependents.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

pradbis
Newly Registered

Post by pradbis » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:45 pm

Hi, thanks a lot for the prompt response. My question is about dependents on an ILR application with family. Our plan is that my wife & children will switch to being dependent on my visa in the next few months. At the point of application for ILR, my wife & children will be dependent on my Tier 2 General visa and I would apply for the ILR along with my family.

My question is, is there a minimum duration that they have to be dependent on my Tier 2 General visa, in order to be eligible to apply as dependent on my ILR along with me?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:47 pm

My question is, is there a minimum duration that they have to be dependent on my Tier 2 General visa, in order to be eligible to apply as dependent on my ILR along with me?
Yes, 5 years residence as Tier 2 G dependent before they will qualify for ILR.

Edit : If your wife had come to the UK as your Tier 2 Dependent before July 2012,then she would have qualified with you for ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

vinny

Re: Switching dependent visas

Post by vinny » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:38 am

pradbis wrote:Hi there,

As background, my wife & I are both Indian passport holders working in the UK. I am on Tier 2 (General) permit and my wife is on Tier 2 (ICT). My children are dependent on my wife's Tier 2 (ICT) permit. We now want to switch and move my wife & children to dependent visas dependent on my own Tier 2 (General) permit.

Qs: Do they need to go back to India to apply for this or can they make an in-country application in the UK?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

- Prad
The changes permit them to switch in-country.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

pradbis
Newly Registered

Dependent ILR query

Post by pradbis » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:02 pm

Hi all,

Had a question re: dependent ILR eligibility - would be grateful for any advice.

Background
------------------
Myself - Indian passport.
- Been in UK since Jan 2012 - from Jan 2012 till March 2013 I was on a Tier 4 visa. Since March 2013 I have been on Tier 2 General permit.
- My wife & children (12 and 7 years old) also have Indian passports
My wife came to UK on a Tier 2 ICT Long Term in March 2012. My 2 children came to UK as dependents on my wife's Tier 2 ICT.

In Feb 2017, my wife and 2 children moved to being dependent on my Tier 2 General visa.

Query
-------------
As per UKBA guidelines on their site, it says my wife has to be my dependent on my visa for 2 years in order to be able to apply for ILR along with me. Am I understanding this correctly? Or is it sufficient that she has lived with me for the last 5 years?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:10 pm

pradbis wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:02 pm
In Feb 2017, my wife and 2 children moved to being dependent on my Tier 2 General visa.

Query
-------------
As per UKBA guidelines on their site, it says my wife has to be my dependent on my visa for 2 years in order to be able to apply for ILR along with me. Am I understanding this correctly? Or is it sufficient that she has lived with me for the last 5 years?
As already advised when you asked about this scenario in January 2016, your dependents require 5 years residence as Tier 2 General dependents before they will qualify for ILR. It is about holding the dependent visa and NOT about 'living with you' for 5 years. Your wife and kids will qualify for ILR in 2022.

Are you applying for ILR based on Tier 2 and 5 years residence or based on 10 years long residence?
CR001 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:47 pm
Yes, 5 years residence as Tier 2 G dependent before they will qualify for ILR.

Edit : If your wife had come to the UK as your Tier 2 Dependent before July 2012,then she would have qualified with you for ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

pradbis
Newly Registered

Re: Dependent ILR query

Post by pradbis » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:27 pm

Thanks. So the question is, what visa should we apply for them? ILR dependent (not their own ILR)?

Right now they are dependent on my Tier 2 (General), if my Tier 2 General changes to an ILR, they need to get onto a new visa, right?

I am applying for ILR under the 5 years in Tier 2 General route.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:29 pm

pradbis wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:27 pm
Thanks. So the question is, what visa should we apply for them? ILR dependent (not their own ILR)?

Right now they are dependent on my Tier 2 (General), if my Tier 2 General changes to an ILR, they need to get onto a new visa, right?
If you apply for ILR based on Tier 2 General and 5 years residence, then they can remain on their current visa and extend it until they qualify for ILR as PBS Dependents.

If you apply for ILR based on 10 years long residence, they will need to switch to FLR(M) which will resent their 5 year clock for ILR to zero (2 x 2.5 year FLR(M) visas) before they will qualify for ILR. They will not be able to remain as PBS Dependent.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

pradbis
Newly Registered

Post by pradbis » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:30 pm

I see that somebody had said FLR (M) under my query in Jan 2016 - assume that is still the right answer? :)

pradbis
Newly Registered

Post by pradbis » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:31 pm

Got it. Thanks CR001. You are helping countless people :).