ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Confused with Good Character Requirement

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

doordont
Newly Registered
Bangladesh

Confused with Good Character Requirement

Post by doordont » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:49 am

Hi Admins,
I would like to have your valuable advice for british citizenship application regarding Good Charactor requirement.

Immigration History
1) Arrived UK as visitor in April 2006
2) Applied Asylum in May 2006 ( during 6 months visit visa)
3) Asylum and Appeals rejected/exhauseted in May 2007
4) Fresh Asylum claim submitted in November 2007

5) DLR granted in September 2010 ( as I have realtioship with british citizen and susequently married and two kids )
6) ILR granted in April 1017 ( after 6 years DLR)

During the asylum application until granted the DLR, I was given temporary admission and signed on every week until DLR was granted, never missed a week reporting.

Could I apply for a British Citizenship now as a spouse of british citizen? But I am confused with Good Character requirement regarding immigration history. Is the temporary admission with the regular reporting counted as a Immigration rules compliant?

Kindly help and I need your advice and opinions.
Thanks

IcikePicike
Hungary

Re: Confused with Good Character Requirement

Post by IcikePicike » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:43 am

Can't you speak to the solicitor that helped you originally with your asylum and visa applications and who knows your history fully? I doubt you can trust online advice here on a fairly complex case like yours.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:10 pm

doordont wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:49 am
Hi Admins,
I would like to have your valuable advice for british citizenship application regarding Good Charactor requirement.

Immigration History
1) Arrived UK as visitor in April 2006
2) Applied Asylum in May 2006 ( during 6 months visit visa)
3) Asylum and Appeals rejected/exhauseted in May 2007
4) Fresh Asylum claim submitted in November 2007

5) DLR granted in September 2010 ( as I have realtioship with british citizen and susequently married and two kids )
You should be eligible to apply for citizenship in September 2020.
doordont wrote:
Could I apply for a British Citizenship now as a spouse of british citizen? But I am confused with Good Character requirement regarding immigration history.
I am not aware of any special exemption from the Good Character based on marriage, or anything else for that matter. There is certainly no exemption of any kind listed in the Uk.gov annex.
doordont wrote:
Is the temporary admission with the regular reporting counted as a Immigration rules compliant?
Your GCR clock started from the day you become legally present in the UK in your case, which is in September 2010 from the information you've given.

doordont
Newly Registered
Bangladesh

Post by doordont » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:08 pm

Its been7 years and I could not locate my solictitor any more.
IcikePicike wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:43 am
Can't you speak to the solicitor that helped you originally with your asylum and visa applications and who knows your history fully? I doubt you can trust online advice here on a fairly complex case like yours.

doordont
Newly Registered
Bangladesh

Post by doordont » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:15 pm

I am not expecting any discretion being a spouse, I just mentioned " as as spouse of british citizen " because I dont have to wait 1 year ILR to apply.

For the immigration history regarding the Good Character, I am still confused because I arrived here legally and was issued Temporary Admission through out until I was granted DLR.

Anyway, thanks for your opinions.

I am not aware of any special exemption from the Good Character based on marriage, or anything else for that matter. There is certainly no exemption of any kind listed in the Uk.gov annex.
doordont wrote:
Is the temporary admission with the regular reporting counted as a Immigration rules compliant?
Your GCR clock started from the day you become legally present in the UK in your case, which is in September 2010 from the information you've given.
[/quote]

ija8051

Post by ija8051 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:12 pm

Members should answer according to question
here he/she is asking i am confused so that mean he is not sure what to do. so it is our duty to guide him a path which he can chose
Good character is not defined in law so interpretation could be any thing only thing is if you apply before Sep 2020 UKVI will check your background again with a questionnaire if you persuade them they will exerciser discretion otherwise they will refuse you so each applicant has his own circumstances where they can judge about this but normally UKVI refuse application if you was in a breach in last 10 years to proceeding your application hope it is understandable for you then just reading a guidance

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:18 pm

doordont wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:15 pm
I am not expecting any discretion being a spouse, I just mentioned " as as spouse of british citizen " because I dont have to wait 1 year ILR to apply.
ILR and Citizenship are two very different things. Different rules apply and they are decided by different offices of government.
doordont wrote:
For the immigration history regarding the Good Character, I am still confused because I arrived here legally and was issued Temporary Admission through out until I was granted DLR.
In this scenario, the UK's response has been to allow applications 10 years from the day you became (again) legally present in the UK.
doordont wrote:
...Members should answer according to question.
here he/she is asking i am confused so that mean he is not sure what to do. so it is our duty to guide him a path which he can chose ...
Then you should practice what you are preaching and make it clear that you are giving advice that goes counter to almost all of the experiences posted on this forum to date. If the OP had actually gotten Asylum, that would be different. But they didn't. That makes all the difference.
doordont wrote:
...if you persuade them they will exercise discretion...
A very costly and avoidable mistake to make in case you can't persuade them!

doordont
Newly Registered
Bangladesh

Post by doordont » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:41 pm

Thanks for your reply. That means my application will be very likely to be refused. but is there any slim chance? or can I take a risk with the aplication fees? or 100% rejection and not worth taking any risk?

A very costly and avoidable mistake to make in case you can't persuade them!
[/quote]

ija8051

Post by ija8051 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:24 pm

Then you should practice what you are preaching and make it clear that you are giving advice that goes counter to almost all of the experiences posted on this forum to date. If the OP had actually gotten Asylum, that would be different. But they didn't. That makes all the difference.

As you mention above it is a preaching lesson i am telling according to a high court judgement where defendant (UKVI) it self declare and made defence againts a claimant that one should prove that he should should be excluded from this policy about his circustances even when they refuse yiou states that make a precedant so ukvi can excludes you from this policy
Also its a policy not law ( good character requirment its not mandatry its discretionary )please read this judgement
AJMAL KAMAL CSOH91 (2016)

ija8051

Post by ija8051 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:52 pm

SORRY ABOUT SPELL MISTAKES MY COMPUTER KEY BOARD IS FUNNY NOT WRITING NORMAL ONLY IN CAPITAL ITS OK SORRY FOR THAT