ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Question about GNIB registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

poolio10
Newly Registered

Question about GNIB registration

Post by poolio10 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:59 pm

Hello,

I am a student, studying in Ireland until the end of May. As soon as I arrived in the country, the immigration officer at the airport stamped my passport and wrote that I have permission to stay until May 26. However, while my passport was stamped this way, a lot of my classmate's passports say that they have permission to stay for a much shorter amount of time.

My liason here at school told all of us that we have to register with the GNIB within three months of our arrival. Now, isn't what already is stamped on my passport the same as what the GNIB would put?

Basically what I'm trying to ask is if I really have to register with the Garda, or if I'm fine as I am? Obviously it's 100euros and a bunch of hours of waiting. If I were to travel within the EU and then come back to Ireland, would I be forbidden to return? Will they know (through computer records) if I haven't?

joelsut
Newly Registered

Post by joelsut » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:53 am

Yes, they will ask for the GNIB card at the airport when you return. You get the card only when you have registered at GNIB.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:12 pm

Yes, it's vital for you to go to the GNIB and get yourself registered...There's always a notice posted in the front about a special time slot when they see students

Laoch na hEireann
Newly Registered

Post by Laoch na hEireann » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:21 pm

yes that stanp that they put in your passport on arrival ssays that you have until that date to register at the GNIB...... 9 read what is says on the actual stamp

your college is wrong when they say you have 3 months to register. the officer at the airport could put one week or even one day in which you have to register.

if you dont go to the GNIB wait for hour and pay the 100 euro registration fee then you will be ILLEGAL in Ireland

calai

Post by calai » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:22 am

You should have a stamp on your passport saying 'for the purpose of register'' with 1 month duration since you arrive at Ireland. When you register in GNIB, they will put a Stamp 2 on your passport and give you a GNIB card. I was a bit late when i register in GNIB as there were too many people, the official told me it is ok if i register a week late (Oct 2007).