ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR and University Fees

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

thirdman
Newly Registered

ILR and University Fees

Post by thirdman » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:54 pm

My wife (originally my fiancee) and her dsughter immigrated to the UK back in 2001 on a fiance visa. We then got married, and 2 years later they both got ILR which they have had ever since. Neither are interested in becoming British Citizens but they have both been resident in the UK continuously since 2001.

My step-daughter is hoping to go to University next year (2009), but I'm a little worried if we will have to pay 'overseas' university fees as she is not a citizen of an EU state.

I've been trying to find the answer to this query for a while online but haven't had any luck. Has anyone got any ideas what the rules for this are?

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:59 pm

You don't have to be an EU citizen to be eligible for "home" fees. The main requirements are;

1. Have lived in the EU/EEA (obviously including the UK) for at least three years prior to the start date of the course
and
2. Has ILR prior to the start date of the course.

So she will be classified as a "Home" student for fees purposes. Note that she is also eligible for student loans and whatever else students can obtain.

The requirements are always listed on the website of the universities/colleges, so you/she should look up whichever school/s she is interested and read the fees section. UKCOSA also have a good outline.

Out of curiosity, why do they not want to become British Citizens? What nationality are they?

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:57 pm

sakura wrote:UKCOSA also have a good outline.
Home fees: who is eligible?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

thirdman
Newly Registered

Post by thirdman » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:36 pm

sakura wrote:
Out of curiosity, why do they not want to become British Citizens? What nationality are they?
Many thanks for your help. They are American, and my wife says that the US doesn't allow dual citizenship. and they don't want to give up their american citizenship.

Is the proof of the residence done via their passport then?

thirdman
Newly Registered

Post by thirdman » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:36 pm

vinny wrote:
sakura wrote:UKCOSA also have a good outline.
Home fees: who is eligible?
Thanks for the link Vinny... extremely helpful :)

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:48 pm

thirdman wrote:
sakura wrote:
Many thanks for your help. They are American, and my wife says that the US doesn't allow dual citizenship. and they don't want to give up their american citizenship.

US and A does allow dual citizenship.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:18 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:16 am

thirdman wrote: Many thanks for your help. They are American, and my wife says that the US doesn't allow dual citizenship. and they don't want to give up their american citizenship.
Your wife is wrong. She can keep her American citizenship provided that's her intention. As long as she keeps a valid American passport (she can have a British passport as well) and keeps filing for U.S. taxes she should have no problem.

http://www.richw.org/dualcit/

How old is your daughter? It would be easier/cheaper for her to apply for British citizenship before she turns 18.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:06 pm

Wanderer wrote:US and A does allow dual citizenship.
It is "US of A"!

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:11 pm

thirdman wrote:
sakura wrote:

I'm surprised how many US citizens think that the US does not allow dual nationality! I think there are actually a lot of people like your wife who don't naturalise in another country because they don't know the rules.

I met a young boy who said he was born in the US but only had a green card because he was a British citizen and didn't want to lose that. I assume his parents were not diplomats when he was born, and I'm certain there is something illegal, or at least wrong, if he has a green card rather than a US passport. But he says his parents told him he cannot be a dual citizen, so it is better to hold his British citizenship and keep a green card...

...Anyway, your wife and step-daughter can definately become dual citizens...how old is your step-daughter? In order to naturalise, they need to pass the Life in the UK test (if your step-daughter is 18 at the time of application, she needs to take it), and apply with their US passport (with the ILR vignette).

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:54 pm

sakura wrote:
Wanderer wrote:US and A does allow dual citizenship.
It is "US of A"!
I know, I was being Borat!

US and A, United Nations Of Benneton etc!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

thirdman
Newly Registered

Post by thirdman » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:20 pm

sakura wrote:
thirdman wrote:
sakura wrote:

I'm surprised how many US citizens think that the US does not allow dual nationality! I think there are actually a lot of people like your wife who don't naturalise in another country because they don't know the rules.

I met a young boy who said he was born in the US but only had a green card because he was a British citizen and didn't want to lose that. I assume his parents were not diplomats when he was born, and I'm certain there is something illegal, or at least wrong, if he has a green card rather than a US passport. But he says his parents told him he cannot be a dual citizen, so it is better to hold his British citizenship and keep a green card...

...Anyway, your wife and step-daughter can definately become dual citizens...how old is your step-daughter? In order to naturalise, they need to pass the Life in the UK test (if your step-daughter is 18 at the time of application, she needs to take it), and apply with their US passport (with the ILR vignette).
Thanks for the information...I will tell my wife, and see what she thinks. My step-daughter is 17 (not 18 until next year)

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:39 am

sakura wrote: I met a young boy who said he was born in the US but only had a green card because he was a British citizen and didn't want to lose that. I assume his parents were not diplomats when he was born, and I'm certain there is something illegal, or at least wrong, if he has a green card rather than a US passport. But he says his parents told him he cannot be a dual citizen, so it is better to hold his British citizenship and keep a green card...
I would be very surprised if the U.S. authorities would issue a Green Card to a U.S. born person, unless they were sure that person was not an American citizen.

calai

Post by calai » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:43 am

How old is your step-daughter?

Has your wife (or step daughter) been working in any EU states for the last 3 out of 5 years?

One way to find out an answer is to contect the university's international/finance office. They are the one to decide the fee status of your step-daughter.

Good luck.