ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tax free on Tier 2

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Blattes

Tax free on Tier 2

Post by Blattes » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:49 pm

Hi everyone,
Not very sure if this is the correct forum, I am looking for advice on tax free with tier 2 visa. I am confused because I pay income tax, council tax and national insurance so I am not so sure if I can get tax free on a laptop I purchased from UK when I leave the UK for a short holiday back to my home country. Perhaps they are different things and I can hopefully claim that at the airport. Did anyone experience such a thing?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Tax free on Tier 2

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:09 pm

Unlikely you can get VAT back on something you bought here, if you live here and are only leaving for a holiday. VAT back is for visitors leaving the UK with their items purchased here as far as I understand.

Council tax, NI and income tax have absolutely nothing to do with VAT and customs duties.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Blattes

Re: Tax free on Tier 2

Post by Blattes » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:13 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:09 pm
Unlikely you can get VAT back on something you bought here, if you live here and are only leaving for a holiday. VAT back is for visitors leaving the UK with their items purchased here as far as I understand.

Council tax, NI and income tax have absolutely nothing to do with VAT and customs duties.
Thank you CR001. That is what I thought really but VAT letter was issued to me with no problem so I was slightly confused. It does make sense that I shouldn’t since I live and work here. Thank you.