ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Employers won't let me start new job without BRP

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mellymel
Newly Registered
Brazil

BRP for residence of 20 years with ILR

Post by mellymel » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:08 pm

HI everyone, I'm new here so sorry if this question has already been asked and answered...

I have lived in the UK for the past 20 years and have used my ILR visa (in a passport issued back in 97) combined with my current passport to travel, work, study (have just completed a midwifery degree) etc. I have always worked, payed taxes and NI and have a British husband and children born in the UK. I am most definitely eligible to work.

As mentioned above, I am a newly qualified midwife and have a job, however, upon having my ID checked by the hospital's HR department I was informed of the BRP. This is my timeline:

Applied: 13th Sept 17
Enrolled biometric: 09 Oct 17

My questions are:

Has anyone gone through something similar?
Were you able to start your job prior to receiving the BRP?
How long did you have to wait for the BRP to arrive?
Is there anything I can do to either speed up the process or begin my job prior to receiving the actual BRP?

Cheers

mellymel
Newly Registered
Brazil

Employers won't let me start new job without BRP

Post by mellymel » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:05 pm

Is there anyone I can get help from if new employers are refusing to let me start working before I receive my BRP?

I have had to apply for a BRP as my ILR is in an expired passport. I have lived and worked in the UK for the past 20 years, so my new employers have proof of my ability to work. I have sent them links about performing checks online and still they insist on having the BRP before I commence work with them.

Is there anything I can do, apart from paying £490 extra to fast track my application (I've applied in September).

I'd really appreciate some advice, feeling very frustrated and utterly powerless...

vinny

Re: Employers won't let me start new job without BRP

Post by vinny » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:29 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.