ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Complex situation EEA Resident.

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Vabli2
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Complex situation EEA Resident.

Post by Vabli2 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:44 pm

I’m Pakistani citizen but UK resident holding an EEA family member permit on behalf of my Dutch wife. I am eligible to apply for UK permanent residence after 5 years of my UK residence. I have spent 3 years already. According to Dutch immigration: I am eligible to apply for Dutch Naturalisation on behalf of my wife while living in UK. (Dutch Naturalisation abroad)
If I obtain Dutch nationality while living in UK, will UK Immigration would know about that of my new nationality? It’s just because I am told if I obtain Dutch nationality, my 5 years residency in UK, towards permanent Residence, will start again from scratch on the bases of my new EU Citizen status since I won’t be a non EU citizen anymore. Many thanks

vinny

Re: Complex situation EEA Resident.

Post by vinny » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:56 pm

EU nationals may still be family members and qualify for PR as such?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Vabli2
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Vabli2 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:25 am

I had called UK Immigration and that what they told me themselves.

dan1988uk
Member of Standing
Italy

Post by dan1988uk » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:51 am

vinny wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:56 pm
EU nationals may still be family members and qualify for PR as such?
Yes, EU nationals can apply on their own or as a dependent family member of another EU national.

Vabli2
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Obtaining EU citizenship before getting UK permanent residence on EEA family member route

Post by Vabli2 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:06 pm

I am Pakistani Citizen, Living in UK, holding EEA family permit (Family member of an EEA national) as my wife is Dutch national exercising treaty rights in UK. I am due to apply for Permanent residence on this route, in 2019. I just found out that I am eligible for Dutch nationality abroad through my wife (The Netherlands allows that even if you have never set your foot in Holland but you are married to Dutch National for 3 years). My question is: if I obtain dutch citizenship, would my 5 years period towards permanent residence in UK will start again due to becoming EU citizen myself and "not a non EU family member of an EEA national anymore" ? I called UK immigration and that is what they warned me but then advised me to seek assistance from professionals. Please advice as I am very confused. I do want to obtain my Dutch nationality since UK citizenship is almost 3 years away. Thanks