ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Accommodation Requirement - Scottish Residential Tenancy

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

seamustio
Newly Registered

Accommodation Requirement - Scottish Residential Tenancy

Post by seamustio » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:20 pm

I'm looking for some guidance on meeting the accommodation requirement for spousal visas. I'm hoping to bring my husband from the US to the UK in the next few months.

I read in the Home Office guidance that you are required to have at least 6 months left on your tenancy agreement (an "assured short tenancy") when applying for the visa.

In December 2017, Scotland enacted a new tenancy agreement ("Private Residential Tenancy") which replaced assured short tenancies.

The new tenancy agreements are open-ended and there is no 6 month time limit stated on the tenancy agreement.

I'm worried they might cause issues when applying for our visa and may lead to our application being rejected. Has anyone had any experience in dealing with these new tenancy agreements? Is there anything different I need to do now that these new tenancies are active?

I'm hoping that as the new tenancy's are open ended then that would satisfy the 6 month requirement, but some guidance would be really appreciated!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Accommodation Requirement - Scottish Residential Tenancy

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:27 pm

I read in the Home Office guidance that you are required to have at least 6 months left on your tenancy agreement (an "assured short tenancy") when applying for the visa.
Where exactly does it state this? Can you provide the link to the 'document'?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

seamustio
Newly Registered

Post by seamustio » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:42 pm

Quite a few places - e.g. this thread here
HO expects you to have a minimum of 6 month at least on your agreement before you apply or should be stated in the letter by your landlord he will renew the agreement at the end of the one you got.
Now that I've checked, I cannot admittedly find this in the official home office guidance, but by this point I'm really worried I've missed something or this is a requirement I've just not found?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:44 pm

Also note that link to the topic you have posted is more than 3 years old.

There is no requirement to have a minimum of 6 months on a tenancy.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.