ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Documents Required for MN1

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Zchawla
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Documents Required for MN1

Post by Zchawla » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:32 pm

Hi,

Can anyone please confirm if one has to submit father’s original British Passport with the MN1 form for the UK born child or a certified copy of father’s British passport will suffice (Father has since obtained British passport) along with the following:

Original full UK birth certificate for the child with the British parent name on it
Original child passport (if has one) + BRP
Marriage certificate (if child born before 2006).

Thanking you in anticipation for your help.

Regards,

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Documents Required for MN1

Post by CR001 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:43 pm

If you apply through NCS at the council, you get to keep hold of all your original documents and you can apply for MN1 and British passport at the same time.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Zchawla
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Zchawla » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:03 pm

Thanks.
So just to clarify that if not sending MN1 through NCS then the certified copy from post office is not acceptable and father’s British Passport has to be sent?

Thanks again.

shinebright
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by shinebright » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:20 pm

Hello

In my case, I never sent original except for the birth certificate, father's passport, (British), mother's (non British) were all copies and not certified, this was sent in June and approved in September, not sure if anything has change since then and if you are now required to submit certified copies but it was approved without original or certified copies, maybe we were just lucky who knows as with HO, one is never sure.

Zchawla
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Zchawla » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:39 pm

Thanks Shinebright.

I think this is still the case that original passport of the British passport is not required but wanted to confirm!

Also, for a child born in the uk and living in the uk, the non-British parent’s passport or copy of it is not required since the application is based on the British parent i-e. ‘Section 1(3) Entitlement to registration as British Citizen”.

Thanks,

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:53 pm

When was your child born and what was your immigration status when the child was born?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

shinebright
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by shinebright » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:09 pm

I had PR and just thought to add mine, with HO better provide more than less, my child was born in 2013 to British father in the UK but as I was not divorced from previous marriage he was refused British nationality, so had to register him in June 2017, after so much drama with HMPO.

Zchawla
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Zchawla » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:12 pm

Thanks CR001.

My son was born on 11 December 2013 whilst I was on 5 years EEA Dependent Visa through my previous marriage. I got my PR in March 2016 but never got around applying for him until now. Received British passport earlier this year.

NCS dates are away so just checking if application can be sent without sending my British passport (due to my possible travel plan soon) and just a copy certified by post will be enough.

Thanks.

Zchawla
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Zchawla » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:36 pm

Thanks Shinebright.

I would have thought that a child born to a British father won’t have to register himself under MN1 but apply straight for a passport but I am not an expert so must be missing something!

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:39 pm

Zchawla wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:36 pm
Thanks Shinebright.

I would have thought that a child born to a British father won’t have to register himself under MN1 but apply straight for a passport but I am not an expert so must be missing something!

Thanks
You were not British when your child was born, so your point above is not relevant. A child born to a British father is automatically British (in most cases) and does not need to register. Your situation is not the same though.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Zchawla
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Zchawla » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:51 pm

You are right CR001. Mine isn’t the same case.

So is sending father’s original British passport a requirement under entitlement rule?

Thanks,

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:57 pm

I am believe a certified copy should suffice but note that HO can and often do ask for original documents. However, I would still suggest you use NCS. You don't have to use your council NCS, you can use any NCS and child does not have to attend with you.

You might be asked to prove and submit evidence of PR too.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Zchawla
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Zchawla » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:56 pm

Thanks CR001.

I will check with other coubcil’s NCS to see if there is an earlier date available.

Regarding proof of PR. I sent my BRP back to HO when they sent me my naturalisation Certificate. A bit strange of them asking for proof of BRP when I now have a passport. I must have the letter that came with the PR BRP, perhaps I should send that.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:05 pm

EEA/EU PR cards are not required to be sent back.

Did you keep a copy??
Char (CR001 not Casa)

shinebright
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by shinebright » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:11 pm

Zchawla wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:36 pm
Thanks Shinebright.

Thanks

My child was born Jan 2013 while I wasn't divorced from ex and I was on EEA residence permit, apparently there's some law that states because I was in a marriage to another person his British father would not be recognised for nationality purposes (shocked in this age and time such law still exists), hence the registration route, attained PR in 2015 but got card in 2016 and registered him 2017.

Zchawla
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Zchawla » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:24 pm

Oh! I didn’t realise that. Everywhere it said, I will be fined if I didn’t Send it back wirhin 7 days of getting naturalised.

I do have a copy though.

Shall I send a copy with a copy of my British passport?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:24 am

Zchawla wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:24 pm
Shall I send a copy with a copy of my British passport?
Yes.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Zchawla
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Zchawla » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:59 pm

Thanks CR001. Much appreciated.

One last question. As per the frequently asked question here

“If applying under section 1(3) (child born in the UK to parents who now at least one parent holds ILR), the following documents are required:

- Original full UK birth certificate for the child (with the ILR parent named on it).
- Original child passport (if has one).
- Parent's passport showing ILR / BRP. (photocopies of all pages are accepted)
- Marriage certificate (if child born before 2006).

Reading from the 3rd point aboce, my understanding is that only my passport BRP documents are required in support of this MN1 as I am sponsoring the application and not His mother’s.

Regards,

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:13 am

Did I say anywhere that both parents have to send their documents??
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Zchawla
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Zchawla » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:15 pm

Thanks CR001. That was just a question 🙂.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,