ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FLR (M) documents & correspondance checklist

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ajwilo
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

FLR (M) documents & correspondance checklist

Post by ajwilo » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:50 pm

Hi guys,

I'm just looking for some reassurance and confirmation (from those in the know!) with regards the documents my wife and I have compiled in support of her application for Further Leave to Remain as a spouse of British citizen (me). Some context: my wife is Australian, came to UK on Tier 5 Youth Mobility visa in May 2016 and moved in with me. We got married at the beginning of November this year. Her Tier 5 expires on 5th Jan 2018 and we have a premium service appointment booked in for next week. She is self-employed and meets the financial requirement. I believe we have all the necessary documents, but I want to clarify whether the correspondence we have is correct, and whether it covers the right period of time. I read that we should be trying to provide documents with each of our names on for every 4 month period since we have been living together. This is what we have in terms of numbers of documents and whether they have both our names on (JOINT), her name on (APPLICANT) or my name on (SPONSOR):

May 2016-Aug 2016: JOINT = 0; APPLICANT = 4; SPONSOR = 1
Sep 2016-Dec 2016: JOINT = 1; APPLICANT = 3; SPONSOR = 0
Jan 2017-Apr 2017: JOINT = 4; APPLICANT = 2; SPONSOR = 3
May 2017-Aug 2017: JOINT = 2; APPLICANT = 2; SPONSOR = 2
Sep 2017-Dec 2017: JOINT = 0; APPLICANT = 1; SPONSOR = 1

That's a total of 26 documents, which is including all the bank statements she has to provide as evidence of her income from self-employment. There are 16 bank statements there (7 joint account statements in both our names; 6 personal in her name; 3 personal in my name). The other 10 letters of correspondence are addressed to either her OR me, and include things like TV licence; Council Tax; GP letter; HMRC letter etc.

Does this all seem good enough? Am I missing anything? On the penultimate page of the FLR (M) form - "PHOTOGRAPHS & DOCUMENTS CHECKLIST" - it asks you to list number of bank statements and, separately, number of items of correspondence addressed "to you and your sponsor". I'm assuming that we shouldn't be counting things twice, is that correct? For example, bank statements also count as items of correspondence and I'm assuming that the statements we're providing as part of the financial requirement will also be counted as items of correspondence to show that we live together. So we have put "16" in box for number of bank statements, and "10" in box for items of correspondence. Does that seem right??

Thanks so much for any help and advice!

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: FLR (M) documents & correspondance checklist

Post by Casa » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:33 pm

This isn't a requirement when switching from another visa category to spouse from within the UK. The Case Worker will only want to see evidence of co-habitation following your marriage. You're confusing this with the 2nd application for FLR(M) (2.5 years) or the subsequent ILR at the end of the 5 year period.

Note: If you are relying on your wife's self-employed income, unlike earnings from employment the qualifying figure is after allowable business expenses have been deducted. In other words, the amount on which HMRC have calculated tax due.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

ajwilo
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by ajwilo » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:43 pm

Ah, OK. That makes sense - thank you. We should be covered for correspondence then (probably have too much). Thanks for clarifying that. I'm possibly being a bit dim, but that isn't made clear on the application form at all!

Another thing... How pedantic are they likely to be with how correspondence is addressed? For example, some documents are addressed to our building number, street name, city, postcode. Other documents have building number, FLAT LETTER, street name, city, postcode.

I don't want them thinking we live in the same building, but not the same flat! I'm assuming that it'll be fine because there's not really anything we can do about it...

(Thanks for the heads up re self-employed income! Yeah, her taxable income exceeds the requirement. We have her tax return; SA302; bank statements; accountants certificate of confirmation; unaudited accounts etc. I think I understood the guidance notes on that one!)

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:10 pm

ajwilo wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:43 pm
Ah, OK. That makes sense - thank you. We should be covered for correspondence then (probably have too much). Thanks for clarifying that. I'm possibly being a bit dim, but that isn't made clear on the application form at all! I agree it can be confusing.

Another thing... How pedantic are they likely to be with how correspondence is addressed? For example, some documents are addressed to our building number, street name, city, postcode. Other documents have building number, FLAT LETTER, street name, city, postcode.

I don't want them thinking we live in the same building, but not the same flat! I'm assuming that it'll be fine because there's not really anything we can do about it... You're overthinking this.

(Thanks for the heads up re self-employed income! Yeah, her taxable income exceeds the requirement. We have her tax return; SA302; bank statements; accountants certificate of confirmation; unaudited accounts etc. I think I understood the guidance notes on that one!)
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.