ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Conflicting Information CoS & Visa Type

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jagadishkumarp
Mood:
United Kingdom

Conflicting Information CoS & Visa Type

Post by jagadishkumarp » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:38 pm

Hi Guys,

I am trying to go through the visa process for working in the UK, I have a CoS assigned from my employer stating that it is Tier 2 (General - New Hire - Restricted), also as they specified that the Job is on the shortage occupancy list by saying Y to the relevant section in the CoS. Also, they stated that the Labor market test was not a requirement.

I was under the impression that I should apply under the Tier 2 (General Shortage Occupancy) Visa but someone who has gone through the same situation got his visa rejected stating that it was applied under the wrong category

After all the reading and talking to the visa helpline (it was useless and very very costly) I presume that the following should be correct:
1. Select the visa type as Tier 2 (General)
2. Select the points claimed under (General Shortage Occupancy)

Can someone please help me with the same.,

Occupation Code: 2136. Please let me know if there is any other information required.

Thanks in advance :)

jagadishkumarp
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Conflicting Information CoS & Visa Type

Post by jagadishkumarp » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:12 pm

The broader question is that provided that a job is on the shortage occupation list why do the employers specify Tier 2 (General - New Hire - Restricted) is there no option of selecting something else?
From a employees standpoint, there is a price difference (main + dependents) plus a ton of confusion the way the online application is designed.

I will have to go through the same dilemma when I apply my dependents.

( Sorry for ranting :) )

mastenfr
Newly Registered
United Arab Emirates

Post by mastenfr » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:14 pm

Will you be applying from outside the UK?

I believe (and feel free to correct me if I am wrong), when applying for a restricted CoS, employers only have 1 of 2 subcategories to choose from:

 Tier 2 General (New hires - restricted)
 Tier 2 General (Tier 4 dependant switching to Tier 2)

Reference: https://www.diyukimmigrationservices.co ... r_2017.pdf

I presume you are not switching from a Tier 4 dependant visa, so the only option is Tier 2 (General – New hires - Restricted)

Hope you find this useful.

jagadishkumarp
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by jagadishkumarp » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:05 am

mastenfr wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:14 pm
Will you be applying from outside the UK?

I believe (and feel free to correct me if I am wrong), when applying for a restricted CoS, employers only have 1 of 2 subcategories to choose from:

 Tier 2 General (New hires - restricted)
 Tier 2 General (Tier 4 dependant switching to Tier 2)

Reference: https://www.diyukimmigrationservices.co ... r_2017.pdf

I presume you are not switching from a Tier 4 dependant visa, so the only option is Tier 2 (General – New hires - Restricted)

Hope you find this useful.
Thanks for the prompt reply mastenfr, I did go through the documentation provided for the SMS (Sponsorship management system) and did see that there are just 2 options the employer can select from, the confusion is from the employee side.

The conflict I have is the type of visa and under which category I need to claim points under.

[*] Should I select Tier 2 (General) as the CoS states so and claim points under Tier 2 (General Shortage Occupancy)?
[*] Should I select Tier 2 (General Shortage Occupancy) and claim points under Tier 2 (General Shortage Occupancy)?

I am attaching the categories which I can choose from:

ravisb_2014
Member of Standing

Post by ravisb_2014 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:24 pm

1. Restricted CoS because out of Country.
2. If CoS states that job is on Shortage Occupancy List, then select Visa Type as 'Tier 2(General Shortage Occupation) visa'.

jagadishkumarp
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by jagadishkumarp » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:03 pm

ravisb_2014 wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:24 pm
1. Restricted CoS because out of Country.
2. If CoS states that job is on Shortage Occupancy List, then select Visa Type as 'Tier 2(General Shortage Occupation) visa'.
Thanks, ravisb_2014, Is this still the case if my CoS says in the first line that it is of Tier 2 (General - New Hire - Restricted) category.

Please look at the screen grabs from my CoS

shwetatandel
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by shwetatandel » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:14 pm

Hi ,

Did you get you Visa done. I am facing a similar situation where my job code is same as yours and I have no clue to apply for shortage or general category?

yylifeintheuk
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by yylifeintheuk » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:55 pm

I am on 2136 too, only few job listed is shortage, not all software programming job is shortage..

So I believe this code is on shortage but the position offered to you is not belongs to shortage.. Hope I am right.

sptula
Member of Standing
India

Post by sptula » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:13 pm

yylifeintheuk wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:55 pm
I am on 2136 too, only few job listed is shortage, not all software programming job is shortage..

So I believe this code is on shortage but the position offered to you is not belongs to shortage.. Hope I am right.
Are you on RCOS, approved in December ?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:16 pm

sptula wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:13 pm
yylifeintheuk wrote:

Please do not turn just any topic in a RCOS questions topic. The user has already posted in the December thread that his RCOS was approved.

uk-tier-2-employer-sponsored-visas/dece ... l#p1573495
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

jagadishkumarp
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by jagadishkumarp » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:46 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:16 pm
sptula wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:13 pm
yylifeintheuk wrote:

Please do not turn just any topic in a RCOS questions topic. The user has already posted in the December thread that his RCOS was approved.

uk-tier-2-employer-sponsored-visas/dece ... l#p1573495
Hi,

Sorry @CR001 my CoS was approved in the October batch and my visa got refused because I took the wrong IELTS,

The visa category was tier 2 general (shortage occupation) in my instance. im very sure that the refusal was cause of the ielts as the ECO stated that in the refusal letter.

@sptula my job was definitly on the shortage occupation as its animation domain.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:50 pm

jagadishkumarp wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:46 pm
Hi,

Sorry @CR001 my CoS was approved in the October batch and my visa got refused because I took the wrong IELTS,

The visa category was tier 2 general (shortage occupation) in my instance. im very sure that the refusal was cause of the ielts as the ECO stated that in the refusal letter.
My comment was directed at user 'sptula' and not you.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.