ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Mother Pakistani but Father is British - New Born gets nationality?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

wm786
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Mother Pakistani but Father is British - New Born gets nationality?

Post by wm786 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:42 pm

Hi,

I have been trying to find the requirements for British Passport for a child born in UK to Pakistani Mum (visitor) and British Father(by descent). Will the new born get nationality?

And what if baby is born outside UK in Pakistan, will the nationality be given?

Kind Regards

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Mother Pakistani but Father is British - New Born gets nationality?

Post by CR001 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:53 pm

Is the mum in the UK on as visitor visa?

Hope she realises she doesn't get free NHS service and will have to pay 150% of the cost to have the baby and any pre and post natal care.
Will the new born get nationality?
If born in the UK the child will be British.
And what if baby is born outside UK in Pakistan, will the nationality be given?
This depends on a number of things but usually Pakistani. As the father is British by Descent, he cannot automatically pass on his citizenship to children born abroad.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:59 pm

How did the British father acquire his British citizenship? Where was he (the father) born? If born abroad, at what age did he arrive in the UK and how did he acquire his British citizenship (registration or naturalisation)?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

wm786
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by wm786 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:42 pm

He was born in Pakistan and got his British passport in Pakistan through his father(also British at the time and not by birth).

He (father of new baby) came to UK first time on his British passport when he was in his teens.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:20 pm

If child is born in the UK, then the question of how the father acquired his citizenship does not arise, or am i missing something ?
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

wm786
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by wm786 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:22 pm

I'm checking the possible options that parents can pursue - if baby is born here in UK, he/she will get nationality based on father's status. This is clear now I suppose?

How father got nationality arise only when baby is born in Pakistan. If father is British by birth then there is no question, the child gets nationality straight away even in Pakistan(as far as my research shows). But since new baby's father had nationality granted in Pakistan then it's slightly vague to me.

I'm assuming new baby's father is British by descent. And I'm saying this because he was born in Pakistan and his father applied for his passport being British Citizen already.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:30 pm

wm786 wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:22 pm
I'm checking the possible options that parents can pursue - if baby is born here in UK, he/she will get nationality based on father's status. This is clear now I suppose?

How father got nationality arise only when baby is born in Pakistan. If father is British by birth then there is no question, the child gets nationality straight away even in Pakistan(as far as my research shows). But since new baby's father had nationality granted in Pakistan then it's slightly vague to me.

I'm assuming new baby's father is British by descent. And I'm saying this because he was born in Pakistan and his father applied for his passport being British Citizen already.
The child won't be British if born abroad as the father in unable to pass British citizenship to a child born outside of the UK due to his own father acquiring citizenship by descent.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.