ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Moving Ireland with Non EU Spouse (overstayed visa in UK)

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

AlbertUK
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Moving Ireland with Non EU Spouse (overstayed visa in UK)

Post by AlbertUK » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:32 pm

Hello there,

My name is Albert and I have been living in England for 12 years. Last year I became a British citizen and decided to move to Dublin next year. I am planning to bring my wife with me (we got married in London in 2015). Her documentation has been with the home office since then and unfortunately we learned a few months ago that her visa has been refused. As her been a overstayed would I be able to bring her with me to Dublin from London next year? She is Brazilian. Many Thanks

shpirtshqipe
Member of Standing

Re: Moving Ireland with Non EU Spouse (overstayed visa in UK)

Post by shpirtshqipe » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:59 pm

Hi Albert,

It would seem your priority is to bring your wife across the border and into Ireland. How you do this is entirely your choice. Legally bringing her here may be a challenge due to her adverse immigration history in the UK i.e. applying for a visitor visa. Your wife going back to her home country will make the application process for the EUFAM much longer.

Once your wife is Ireland you’ll need about 3 months to fully establish yourself officially as an ordinary resident. At the end of this period you’ll be able to apply for your wife’s EUFAM residence card.

mgb

Post by mgb » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:46 am

shpirtshqipe wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:59 pm
Hi Albert,

It would seem your priority is to bring your wife across the border and into Ireland. How you do this is entirely your choice. Legally bringing her here may be a challenge due to her adverse immigration history in the UK i.e. applying for a visitor visa. Your wife going back to her home country will make the application process for the EUFAM much longer.
Why should that be a challenge?
Article 5 of the directive give the right of entry for a family member of a eu citizen. There has to be a visa or entry stamp issued at the border if needed.
Beside ryanair I don't know any carrier who is checking for visas inside the CTA.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:19 pm

mgb wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:46 am
shpirtshqipe wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:59 pm
Hi Albert,

Why should that be a challenge?
Article 5 of the directive give the right of entry for a family member of a eu citizen. There has to be a visa or entry stamp issued at the border if needed.
Beside ryanair I don't know any carrier who is checking for visas inside the CTA.
Bear in mind too the Garda is all over Dublin Port, I'm checked every time coming in (in a UK registered car on an NI plate), and sometimes on the way out. Even checked twice in the way out into Dubs once!

They ask for licence but I suspect if I wasn't EU they'd ask for passport etc then who knows.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

mgb

Post by mgb » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:10 am

mgb wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:46 am
There has to be a visa or entry stamp issued at the border if needed.
I wrote it already. That is what is counting.
The garda simply has to follow eu law.