ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA PR applying for BC

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

shahzebsaeed
Newly Registered

EEA PR applying for BC

Post by shahzebsaeed » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:38 pm

Hi,

These might be some very obvious questions so I apologize in advance.

I am a non EU citizen who aquired PR status in june 17 through EEA family member, however things have hit a rough patch and we both have agreed to go on our separate ways but divorce proceedings havent started although they might be in the horizon.

My question is can I still apply for BC in July 18 divorced/proceedings ongoing?

Will I need any documents from her?

Just to clarify that the 1year rule after PR applies to non-EU citizens too? As someone told me I need to wait full 10 years before I am eligible.

I am just worried as PR card states 'Residence Card of a family member of a union citizen'

I do satisfy the rest of the requirements.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: EEA PR applying for BC

Post by CR001 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:40 pm

My question is can I still apply for BC in July 18 divorced/proceedings ongoing?

Yes if you meet all the standard requirements and hold a DCPR.
Unlikely.
Just to clarify that the 1year rule after PR applies to non-EU citizens too? As someone told me I need to wait full 10 years before I am eligible.
It depends on your immigration history to be honest and as you don't state how you entered the UK or what your full immigration history is and visas you have held, we can only give generic advice
I am just worried as PR card states 'Residence Card of a family member of a union citizen'
Are you sure you have a DCPR? When did you apply for PR? 'Residence Card...' is not a PR card.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:21 pm

shahzebsaeed wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:38 pm
CR001 wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:40 pm
Are you sure you have a DCPR? When did you apply for PR? 'Residence Card...' is not a PR card.
I think the OP has the PR Card as a non-EEA spouse of an EEA citizen, in which case it does say "Residence Card of a family member of a union citizen". So long as the Type of Permit says states that you have Permanent Residence, you should be fine.

To the OP; remember that you can only apply for British citizenship one year after the date of acquisition of PR, which is listed in the letter that came with the PR Card and is not the date on the PR Card itself.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Bataza
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Bataza » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:17 am

You can still apply for your BC without her support. I am a non-EEA family member of EEA citizen as well. I divorced my wife before I applied for my PR card. She refused to support my application but i support my application with the divorce document and a letter stating that she refused to give me her passport and other documents because we divorced. I was still granted the PR card as an EEA family member because we married for more than 5 years and lived in the UK for more than 3 years. Hope this will help. Good luck

shahzebsaeed
Newly Registered

Post by shahzebsaeed » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:10 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:40 pm

Yes if you meet all the standard requirements and hold a DCPR.
Unlikely.
It depends on your immigration history to be honest and as you don't state how you entered the UK or what your full immigration history is and visas you have held, we can only give generic advice
Its definitely a PR as mentioned by another poster thats how they word on the card.

Regards to my immigration history, I entered the country as a dependent in 2005 but had to go back because host/sponsors visa expired, came back in June 2012 but I do have a 6 month break before 2012 so I am counting my years from june 12 as I have no extended periods outside UK bar holidays

wahi66
BANNED
United Kingdom

Post by wahi66 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:56 pm

Hello

Well as far as my opinion, You don't need her anymore regardless weather you married or not. you can apply for BC after one year of your PR. the best way to find your date is your PR granted letter sent by HO after successful application. The letter will tell the exact date. However as far as your marriage and divorce is concerned it has nothing to do with your BC application. even if you guys don't get divorce and stays as separated. hope it will help