ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Same sex civil partners: entering Greece on EEA family member residence card

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Same sex civil partners: entering Greece on EEA family member residence card

Post by chaoclive » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:03 pm

Hi there

I'm an Irish citizen living and working in the UK. I don't have British citizenship. My civil partner has an EEA family member residence card issued under Directive 2004/38/EC.

We plan to travel to Greece soon and would like to ask if any other same sex partners have had any issues entering Greece on a residence card? I know the legislation and have read that the Greek Embassy website states: 'Family members of EU/EEA/CH nationals who are holders of the relevant British residence documentation do not require a visa in order to enter Greece, under the condition that they are accompanied by the EU citizen or they are going to join him/her.' This will be the case.

The only thing I'm concerned about is the same sex aspect. I know that Greece has allowed same sex partners to enter into cohabitation agreements in 2015. I was wondering if that would be enough to constitute the recognition of our civil partnership?

Thanks
CC

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Same sex civil partners: entering Greece on EEA family member residence card

Post by chaoclive » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:54 pm

Any insight?

The Greek Embassy in London is less than helpful (to put it politely)!

notrouble

Re: Same sex civil partners: entering Greece on EEA family member residence card

Post by notrouble » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:26 am

All EU countries including Greece are required to recognise your partner’s EU Family card (issued by the UK authorities under Article 10). Your partner will be able to travel to Greece visa free as long as you travel at the same time.