ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child benefit?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Londonite
Newly Registered

Child benefit?

Post by Londonite » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:32 pm

Does anyone know for certain if child benefits are off limits to HSMP visa holders?

Many thanks,

Londonite

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:30 pm

I think to get a precise answer you should explain what kind of 'Child benefit' you are talking about. whether you actually mean child tax credit could mean quite a big difference.

Londonite
Newly Registered

Post by Londonite » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:39 pm

I think to get a precise answer you should explain what kind of 'Child benefit' you are talking about. whether you actually mean child tax credit could mean quite a big difference.
Not a tax credit, rather the £17 per week sort of child benefit.

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:34 pm

u need to have a settlement visa like ILR to claim child benefit (not child tax credit)

correct me if i am wrong

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:32 pm

olisun wrote:u need to have a settlement visa like ILR to claim child benefit (not child tax credit)

correct me if i am wrong
i think you are right there. infact if you claim this benefit you will probably have a problems when applying for ILR

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:49 pm

Totally correct, the holder of a visa with a "No recourse to Public Funds" restriction must not claim Child Benefit.

However Child Benefit is claimable by just one person, and that could be either parent. Accordingly if it happens to be the case that one of the couple has a restricted visa, and the other one does not, there is absolutely no problem in the person without a restricted visa making a claim for Child Benefit.
John

Londonite
Newly Registered

Post by Londonite » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:34 pm

Thanks all, one more thing to look forward to when we all get ILR.

Londonite