ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can child born outside UK get Citizenship after both parents get ILR or Citizenship

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

user_name

Can child born outside UK get Citizenship after both parents get ILR or Citizenship

Post by user_name » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:04 pm

Dear All,

Current Situation
===============
Main migrant is now a British citizen (via PBS route: Tier 1 General --> ILR --> Naturalization).
Partner, the PBS dependent will be eligible in coming months to apply for ILR (via 5 years route).
Two children: both are under 18 years old and are now PBS dependents.
First child was born outside the UK when the main migrant was in Tier 1 General visa.
Second child was born outside the UK when the main migrant was in ILR.

Requests for Clarification
======================
1. Will the children be eligible for naturalization directly after the PBS partner gets ILR (as at this point, one parent will be on ILR and the other parent is British citizen already)?

2. The PBS Partner and the children have the current leave valid until the middle of 2020, so it is possible for the children to wait until the partner gets Naturalization (one year after ILR). But will the children be eligible for naturalization directly after the PBS partner gets the citizenship (as both parents will be British at this point)?

3. Or must the children follow the PBS partner's path (i.e. ILR and then Naturalization)?

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Many Thanks.

makky86
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Can child born outside UK get Citizenship after both parents get ILR or Citizenship

Post by makky86 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:50 pm

1. Will the children be eligible for naturalization directly after the PBS partner gets ILR (as at this point, one parent will be on ILR and the other parent is British citizen already)?
Children follow the same path as you parter. Once your parter get ILR she/he can apply for naturalization soon after that since you're british citzen. She'll NOT have to wait for a year (this follows same for your kids)
II Youths a stuff neve endures II

user_name

Re: Can child born outside UK get Citizenship after both parents get ILR or Citizenship

Post by user_name » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:27 pm

Thank you makky86 for the quick response.

I didn't know that there is no need of 12 months of ILR status prior to apply for naturalization; would you be able to help me by pointing to a document / link which says so please? Also what is the residence requirement in terms of number of absences in this case?

Many Thanks.

makky86
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by makky86 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:09 pm

user_name wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:27 pm
Thank you makky86 for the quick response.

I didn't know that there is no need of 12 months of ILR status prior to apply for naturalization; would you be able to help me by pointing to a document / link which says so please? Also what is the residence requirement in terms of number of absences in this case?

Many Thanks.

https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-c ... sh-citizen

There is no absense limit on pbs dependants to obtain ILR as per current rule which are changing post 11th Jan 2018 but won't applicable to current applicants.
II Youths a stuff neve endures II

user_name

Post by user_name » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:17 pm

Thank you, much appreciated.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:40 pm

user_name wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:04 pm
Main migrant is now a British citizen
If you are married to (or in a civil partnership with) the main migrant, you and the children can apply directly for British citizenship after you and the children have got ILR. No need to wait for a year.

On the other hand, if you are the unmarried partner of the British citizen, you will have to wait for one year from the date of the ILR grant. Your children can acquire ILR with you and then immediately apply for registration under Section 3(1), as one parent will be a British citizen and the other on ILR (assuming they meet the requirements for their age, which are not mentioned in your post).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

user_name

Post by user_name » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:51 pm

Thank you. (We are married).