ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice On Points

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ramsy66
Newly Registered

Advice On Points

Post by ramsy66 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:43 pm

I have posted in the US immigration forums, and found that my best way into the US is to study for university, I forgot though I don't plan on going to University... So I was thinking, Canada!

I was looking at how to immigrate and noticed they have a points system. This is great! I have found that I get around 60 out of the 67 points needed, but I found that if I waited a further 4 years, that would mean I'd get an extra few points for age, and also max points for work experience. Now does will work experience count a job stacking shelves part time? I am planning on starting full time there soon, but I have worked part time there for about a year.

Now one thing that confused me are the points for education. I have 11 years education, and 9 GCSE's, in English, Math, Science and ICT. I guessed that this would get me around 15 points, with the max being 25 for university with 17 years study. How accurate is this? Does 15 points sound about right for 11 years education and 9 GCSE's?

Any advice greatful!

nomlah
BANNED

Re: Advice On Points

Post by nomlah » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:03 am

ramsy66 wrote:I have posted in the US immigration forums, and found that my best way into the US is to study for university, I forgot though I don't plan on going to University... So I was thinking, Canada!

I was looking at how to immigrate and noticed they have a points system. This is great! I have found that I get around 60 out of the 67 points needed, but I found that if I waited a further 4 years, that would mean I'd get an extra few points for age, and also max points for work experience. Now does will work experience count a job stacking shelves part time? I am planning on starting full time there soon, but I have worked part time there for about a year.

Now one thing that confused me are the points for education. I have 11 years education, and 9 GCSE's, in English, Math, Science and ICT. I guessed that this would get me around 15 points, with the max being 25 for university with 17 years study. How accurate is this? Does 15 points sound about right for 11 years education and 9 GCSE's?

Any advice greatful!
Hi,
What you profession is? Your experience must be relavant to your education. For part time relavant work they will calculate it on the basis of full time work
You will get points only if your profession is in the list of professions. Pl consider the new immigration policy before applying.

Good Luck,

Webmaster,
-> Announcements -> Policy change regarding member websites-> Announcements -> using this forum to solicit for or promote personal business

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:26 pm

Canada's points system is very tough and robust. I don't know how you can manage to get 67 points being so young. If you read other posts on this board, you would find even people with years of experience in a professional job and highly educated find the system (positively) challenging.

They usually have a National Occupation Classification list (NOC): http://www.workpermit.com/canada/employee_list.htm (this isn't the official list, so always check with the official government websites).

You would need to meet these requirements. There are some that might not appear difficult - such as butchers - but you would also need to find an employer or prove employability. So, if you are doing a media course, you can try working in the media industry for a few years, such as film and camera operators.

The biggest problem you would have, however, is that it must be at a professional and managerial level.

It's good that you're getting your head around these things! You have big plans, but education and experience are ALWAYS important in the immigration game - the more educated you are, the better you are able to move around. Get a degree if you can. If you don't want a degree, get professional experience - get an apprenticeship, find out about current programmes in your area, contact companies and start from there. Don't work a low-end job because it won't enable you to migrate.

Canada is almost as difficult as the US to migrate to. The US doesn't have a points based system, but Canada's programme is really tough.

What type of job do you want to do in future?

Immigration_facts
BANNED

Post by Immigration_facts » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:52 am

Hi there,

Good discussion.

For further information, visit:

Good luck.