ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FRRO Confirmation that Minor Child born in India can hold Dual Passports

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

middletier 1

Post by middletier 1 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:33 am

Hi,

I have sent below emails to FRRO regarding the Minor Child born in India can hold Dual Passports;
Does minor child born in India holding Indian Passport can have Dual Nationality. My daughter is 9 years old got British citizenship approved and I am thinking of surrender her Indian passports (first Indian passport issued in 2010 in India and second Indian passport issued in 2015 in UK). However I came to know that minors who born in India can keep dual passports, i.e. both Indian Passport & British Passport until they become major (18 years I think).

Could you please clarify me regarding the above matter and also please confirm whether my daughter need to surrender her Indian or not?

Please note that I will wait for your confirmation and proceed accordingly regarding the surrender of Indian passport and apply for OCI as well.

Me and my wife are currently holding Indian passports with Indefinite leave to remain (ILR) in the UK and my daughter got British passport through ILR route.

Looking forward to hear from you soon.

Hi as we discussed just now please note that my daughter voluntarily registered as British citizen through Indefinite leave to remain I.e PR.

I am eagerly waiting for your reply regarding whether she can hold her Indian passport along with British passport.

Thanks

Reply from FRRO

Sir,
As per MHA, sub-section 1 A of section 4, a minor child can hold citizenship of India along with citizenship of any other country i.e. dual citizenship up to the expiry of six months from the date of attaining his full age.
-------
Regards
FRRO, Hyderabad,

For Assistance Please Contact
O/o FRRO, Hyderabad, CGO Towers,
Kavadiguda, Call:040-27541022,27541088 Mon-Fri 0930-1800hrs

please note that I am bit confused as I have seen this forum that dual citizen wouldn't applicable for volantarily registered as British citizen, however the FRRO clearly confirmed in writing that my daughter can keep dual passports.

I thought of share this information and appreciate any comments

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: FRRO Confirmation that Minor Child born in India can hold Dual Passports

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:50 am

Can you please desist from starting multiple topics with the same issue. Please continue in your existing topics where you have already been given advice.

Multiple Topics/Posts (click)
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.