ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 ILR question

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ali_hsn

Tier 2 ILR question

Post by ali_hsn » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:48 pm

Hello members,

I have a tier 2 child dependent query where main applicant a single parent has just finished 5 years starting Jan-13 and is now eligible to apply for ILR (Jan-18). The child only joined the parent in Feb 2016, however is under 16 years old (9 yrs).
Is the child eligible to apply at the same time as the parent? Going through the gov site, it does not state anywhere the child needs to spend 5 years in the UK like I have read in other posts on this forum
https://www.gov.uk/settle-in-the-uk/y/y ... neral-visa

I'll really appreciate if experts can shed some light and experience.

Thanks
all is well that ends well

vinny

Re: Tier 2 ILR question

Post by vinny » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:55 am

Yes, child is eligible under 319J.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

ali_hsn

Post by ali_hsn » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:19 am

Thanks for the prompt response Vinny!

I also need clarification on child’s route to naturalisation,

1. would the child need ILR at all or can simply get naturalised after the parent gets ILR? (Child was not born in UK)

2. If the child does need ILR, does this mean we have to wait 5 years before naturalisation or can the child apply with the parent the following year after getting ILR?

Thanks.
all is well that ends well

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:42 am

1. would the child need ILR at all or can simply get naturalised after the parent gets ILR? (Child was not born in UK)
Child needs ILR. Child will only qualify to apply for citizenship with ILR once EITHER parent applies for citizenship or is already British.
2. If the child does need ILR, does this mean we have to wait 5 years before naturalisation or can the child apply with the parent the following year after getting ILR?
No. Child can apply when either or both parents apply.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.