ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child travelling abroad after registring as British but with old passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Vik0916475
Newly Registered
India

Child travelling abroad after registring as British but with old passport

Post by Vik0916475 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:50 pm

Hi,

I have recently got the ILR (thanks everyone for the suggestions I asked here) and now I am going to register my child as a British citizen and currently he has got Indian passport with dependent visa (on my tier-2, valid until 2019. I applied his visa when I renewed my Tier2 in Feb 2016).
So can he travel to India on his Indian passport with the fact that he has already registered as a British citizen and while returning back to UK, can there be any problem as he will have a valid visa but also registered as a British citizen.

Regards,
Vik

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Child travelling abroad after registring as British but with old passport

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:04 pm

So can he travel to India on his Indian passport with the fact that he has already registered as a British citizen and while returning back to UK, can there be any problem as he will have a valid visa but also registered as a British citizen.
Your child is only British on the date the certificate is issued after approval. Until that point, he is an Indian citizen and is free to travel and enter the UK with his valid PBS Dependent visa.

If he travels after he is approved for citizenship, his BRP and visa will likely be cancelled and he will need to travel on a British passport to re-enter the UK.

uk-tier-2-employer-sponsored-visas/tier ... l#p1562670
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Vik0916475
Newly Registered
India

Post by Vik0916475 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:08 pm

Thanks for the reply..

What if his application gets approved when he is abroad already?

Thanks,
Vik

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:15 pm

Should not be an issue to return on visa and a simple explanation on entry should be fine.

The issue you have is how long it will be when he returns after approval and the use of Indian passport without incurring penalties.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Vik0916475
Newly Registered
India

Post by Vik0916475 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:43 pm

Thanks for the advise.

He will be back in UK within a month after he has registered successfully as British citizen.

Thanks,
Vik

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:45 pm

Then there shouldn't be an issue.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Vik0916475
Newly Registered
India

Post by Vik0916475 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:49 pm

Also, what can be the worse case scenario if I have to travel to India after he has registered as British but travel on Indian passport. I know you have already mentioned that his visa may have cancelled as soon as he will get registered as British but if his British passport and getting Indian visa things are really taking time and I decide to take him to India on his Indian passport.
Sorry if I am thinking wrong but I am not expert in legal things..

Thanks,
Vik

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:51 pm

There is a 90 day grace period to use the Indian passport.

For Indian passport/OCI/visa questions, you should post in the 'Other Countries' sub forum further down the main forum page.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Vik0916475
Newly Registered
India

Post by Vik0916475 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:00 pm

Many thanks..

I will surely post any question related to OCI and all on a separate post but before that would just want to confirm one more thing please.

As you said grace period of using the Indian passport, what does this actually mean? Does it mean what I was initially thinking that I will take my son on Indian passport on dependent visa is fine or this only means that passport will be valid for next 90 days after my son will get registered however, his any visa and BRP will still be cancelled and though he can travel to India on Indian passport but to enter back in UK, he MUST have the British passport.

Sorry, I just get little confused..

Thanks,
Vik

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:02 pm

Once his citizenship is approved and certificate issued, his visa is no longer relevant as a British citizen cannot hold a UK visa. It should be ok to explain and enter the UK with the BRP.

The 90 days grace period refers to the Indian passport once and is relevant from the his citizenship is granted.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Vik0916475
Newly Registered
India

Post by Vik0916475 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:18 pm

Many thanks..

Regards,
Vik