ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

spencer_joe2000
Newly Registered

Naturalisation

Post by spencer_joe2000 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:09 pm

Hello All

Just wanted to confirm if this is still correct

1. "If married to a BC, you can apply the same day you are granted ILR if you meet the spouse requirements which includes 3 years residence. Any legal stay in the UK counts".

Has any thing about the above statement in quote changed? I was speaking to an immigration lawyer who told me I cannot apply immediately for naturalisation cos law has changed. I told him my wife is BC.

2. Please how much does the application cost?

Can anyone advise?

secret.simon

Re: Naturalisation

Post by secret.simon » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:24 pm

spencer_joe2000 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:09 pm
"If married to a BC, you can apply the same day you are granted ILR if you meet the spouse requirements which includes 3 years residence. Any legal stay in the UK counts".
That statement is still valid.If you are married to a British citizen, you can apply immediately for British citizenship after you have been granted ILR. Quite apart from the absence requirement, you must also have been physically in the UK at the start of the three year period immediately preceding the date of application (date of application - 3 years +1 day).

I think what the immigration lawyer may be confused about is that there is also a parallel requirement under the good character requirements that the applicant should not have resided in the UK illegally at any time within the past ten years. Do you have any period of illegal residence/overstaying within the UK?

The fees for a naturalisation application is £1282. Factor in an additional £100 (approximately) for the passport.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:29 pm

An adult British passport cost £72.50. Over a third less than £100.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:35 pm

It was an approximation, Obie. One can opt for the jumbo passport, which cost £85.50. Also, one could use the Check and Send facility at the Post Office, which is £9.75. Thence the approximation.

First adult passport - fees and how to pay.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:45 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:35 pm
It was an approximation, Obie. One can opt for the jumbo passport, which cost £85.50. Also, one could use the Check and Send facility at the Post Office, which is £9.75. Thence the approximation.

First adult passport - fees and how to pay.

I follow your logic now Mr Secret.simon, not sure citing my name in bold was necessary for getting my full alignment to your thinking.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

spencer_joe2000
Newly Registered

Post by spencer_joe2000 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:50 pm

Thanks for quick reply. I have never resided illegally in the UK over the past 6 years I have been here. Below is my timeline

I came here on a Student visa 11/09/2011 that would have expired 31/01/2013
Met my wife a BC and got married 20/07/2012
Changed from student visa to spouse visa on a 5 year route 24/12/2012
Applied for ILR on 03/01/2018 which was granted same day

I have never been absent from the UK for the past 4 years. The only time I left was on 22/12/16-26/12/16 when I travelled with my wife to US for Christmas holidays. Will this affect my application?

secret.simon wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:24 pm
spencer_joe2000 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:09 pm
"If married to a BC, you can apply the same day you are granted ILR if you meet the spouse requirements which includes 3 years residence. Any legal stay in the UK counts".
That statement is still valid.If you are married to a British citizen, you can apply immediately for British citizenship after you have been granted ILR. Quite apart from the absence requirement, you must also have been physically in the UK at the start of the three year period immediately preceding the date of application (date of application - 3 years +1 day).

I think what the immigration lawyer may be confused about is that there is also a parallel requirement under the good character requirements that the applicant should not have resided in the UK illegally at any time within the past ten years. Do you have any period of illegal residence/overstaying within the UK?

The fees for a naturalisation application is £1282. Factor in an additional £100 (approximately) for the passport.

gaffarn
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by gaffarn » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:21 am

Also that fee we paid to get the biometrics done was £19.50, home office send you a letter of acknowledgement when you apply asking you to give your biometrics at the post office that does biometrics for them. If you apply through NCS then at least you keep your passport and can travel in the meantime whilst they decide upon your citizenship. If you apply directly to home office without using NCS then you have to send your passport to them and you only get it back after minimum 6 months.