ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Cost of living in Canada and Tax rates

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jserrg
Newly Registered

Cost of living in Canada and Tax rates

Post by jserrg » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:36 pm

I am considering moving to Canada.

I've got a job offer of 65000-70000.

Can anybody tell me what will be my take-home income? Or maybe you can point me to some Canadian/New Brunswick tax calculator.

Also, is this OK for Canada to have such an income for a family? I have a wife and a little daughter. Is it enough for a family? The offer comes from a little place in New Brunswick. So I suppose that cost of living should be less there then in Toronto.
What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

global gypsy
United Kingdom

Post by global gypsy » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:30 pm

jserrg, the salary you mention would be a decent salary in New Brunswick. Of course, it depends on your own spend levels...
You can try this site for tax calculation: http://www.taxtips.ca/calculator/cdncalculator.htm
Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans

NOMADNEAT
Newly Registered

Post by NOMADNEAT » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:52 am

This is from the Canada Revenue Agency website and tells you what % tax you will have to pay on your income in New Brunswick:-

10.12% on the first $34,836 of taxable income, +
15.48% on the next $34,837, +
16.8% on the next $43,600, +
17.95% on the amount over $113,273

That wage should be plenty for NB - we're hoping to move there too (we're currently looking for jobs - don't suppose you're in IT by any chance...?!) as property is so cheap and we won't need a mortgage. Have you looked at www.point2homes.com or www.mls.ca yet? Gives you an idea of what type of house you'll be able to afford. Remember to check out Canadian mortgage / home loan interest rates to check what your repayments would be if you got a mortgage (people moving to Oz / NZ frequently fail to do this and assume they'll have the same mortgage as in the UK, not realising the interest rates for home loans are around 7.75% (Oz) and 9.75% (NZ)!!).

Whereabouts in NB was the job offer? Have you been there yet? We're going for a recce this autumn, can't wait :P

Congrats on the job offer anyway - best of luck :wink:

jserrg
Newly Registered

Post by jserrg » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:05 pm

Actually you also have a federal tax which is:

15% on the first $37,885 of taxable income, +
22% on the next $37,884 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income between $37,885 and $75,769), +
26% on the next $47,415 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income between $75,769 and $123,184), +
29% of taxable income over $123,184.

So you should add these to provinicial tax you mention above.

We are in NB already. We moved from Kiev, Ukraine to Saint John a week ago.
The city looks very nice. Lots of old buildings. We live in the uptown just a minute from Harbor view and City Market.

As for the salary it looks as 70,000 is not much for a family of three. Definitely we need some more time to get used to prices and understand where we can by cheaper goods.
I just calculated that we spend 300 CAD just on food in one week. That's maybe twice more than we used to spend in Ukraine.

But the real estate is realy cheap comparing to Ukraine. As local people told me you can buy a gorgeous house for 250 000.

And yes I am in IT. I am doing ERP implementations.

smitakaranth
Newly Registered

Re: Cost of living in Canada and Tax rates

Post by smitakaranth » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:53 pm

jserrg wrote:I am considering moving to Canada.
Hi jserrg,

Congratulations on the job offer.I too am considering to move to canada.Cud u pls tell me hw did u apply for jobs?were u in canada ...or was it thru some consultants....if consultants pls lemme knw..

Any inputs from u wud help me..

Thanks

\

Can anybody tell me what will be my take-home income? Or maybe you can point me to some Canadian/New Brunswick tax calculator.

Also, is this OK for Canada to have such an income for a family? I have a wife and a little daughter. Is it enough for a family? The offer comes from a little place in New Brunswick. So I suppose that cost of living should be less there then in Toronto.
What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

nomlah
BANNED

Re: Cost of living in Canada and Tax rates

Post by nomlah » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:16 pm

jserrg wrote:I am considering moving to Canada.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance.
Hi,
It is a good salary, keep saving a part of it as jobs are not a permanent thing in Canada.

Good Luck,

Webmaster,
-> Announcements -> Policy change regarding member websites-> Announcements -> using this forum to solicit for or promote personal business

Immigration_facts
BANNED

Post by Immigration_facts » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:43 am

Hi there,

Good discussion.

For further information, visit:

-> Announcements -> Policy change regarding member websites
-> Announcements -> using this forum to solicit for or promote personal business

Good luck.