ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Biometric roll out -- in-country applications

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Biometric roll out -- in-country applications

Post by RobinLondon » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:12 pm

I have just read on another board from a very capable OISC-registered immigration consultant that the Home Office will be starting to collect biometric data from applicants applying for Further Leave to Remain (FLR). Here is what was written:

From 28th April 2008, the process of recording the biometric data of foreign nationals making immigration applications from within the UK will begin.

Those applying for FLR (M) and FLR (S) will be the first to be affected. All in-person applicants will be invited to supply fingerprints and will have their photograph taken for facial recognition purposes.

A selection of postal applicants will also be invited to attend to have their photo and fingerprints taken. At the moment, this will be restricted to the small number of applicants who live within a short distance of a PCU. Those who think this may apply to them (ie if you live in or near Solihull, Paisley, Liverpool or Croydon) are advised that there may be several weeks added onto the time it takes to get their application approved, so, if you live in these areas and plan to travel within 14 weeks of application, it is best to apply in person.

This information was given in a letter issued to immigration professionals, so you won't be able to find it from any other news sources. Neither is there any indication when biometric data will be collected from other applicants (e.g., FLR(O), SET(O), FLR(IED), etc.). I reckon that students and partners will be the test cases for other roll-outs.

Just a heads-up for all you upcoming applicants! I must say that I am confused by the word "invited". That suggests a choice, but I would be surprised if that's the case.

whirly

Post by whirly » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:00 pm

I went to Croydon for my ILR (SET M) yesterday and was a bit surprised that they didn't take any biometric data, fingerprints, etc. Seemed like it would have been a good opportunity to do so.

(Not that I'm complaining, of course, and I still expect it at some point in the future. I wonder about ID cards for foreign nationals, too, esp if I get BC before they roll that out later in the year.)

"invited" hmmm...