ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Certificate of Entitlement Right of Abobe

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rockhall

Certificate of Entitlement Right of Abobe

Post by rockhall » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:47 pm

I read the following on BIA webiste:-

How do I know if I am a Commonwealth citizen with the right of abode?

You will have the right of abode as a Commonwealth citizen if you have been a citizen of a Commonwealth country up to 1 January 1983 and, immediately before that date:

you were a Commonwealth citizen with a parent who, at the time of your birth or legal adoption, was a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies and had their citizenship by being born in the United Kingdom, or you were a Commonwealth citizen and are, or were, the wife of a man with the right of abode in the United Kingdom.

Hmmm now can someone tell me with the knowledge ROA and the above information, I am a commonwealth citizen born before 1983, (1972) my parents were born in 1946 under british control, (do not know the term used) does that mean I can apply?

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:01 am

You need to start providing more information than that, I'm afraid.

Please provide the years and specific places of your parents' birth. Also provide the years and specific places of your grandparents' birth.

ROA is in many ways commensurate with one's ties to the UK, by which I actually mean the British Isles. If your parents and grandparents were all born in British colonies (e.g., pre-independence India or Kenya) and never lived for an extended period of time in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales, you will have a 99.99% chance of not having right of abode in the UK. Your best chances will lie with other routes of entry (e.g., work permit, Tier 1, partner, etc.)

rockhall

Post by rockhall » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:13 am

RobinLondon wrote:You need to start providing more information than that, I'm afraid.

Please provide the years and specific places of your parents' birth. Also provide the years and specific places of your grandparents' birth.

ROA is in many ways commensurate with one's ties to the UK, by which I actually mean the British Isles. If your parents and grandparents were all born in British colonies (e.g., pre-independence India or Kenya) and never lived for an extended period of time in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales, you will have a 99.99% chance of not having right of abode in the UK. Your best chances will lie with other routes of entry (e.g., work permit, Tier 1, partner, etc.)

Thanks very much for your quick response my parents were born in 1946 and grand parents probably 1915 there about . The Island of Saint Lucia got independence from britain in 1979. They were all born there. Hope this information helps.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:21 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

rockhall

Post by rockhall » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:13 am

vinny wrote:See also Chapter 3 - Right of abode.
Thanks for the link, it was very informative I will try to get some information out of there, but I really do not know if i qualify based on parents and grandparents.